Assembling Metcalfe Card Kits

• RMweb Gold

Over the past few years I have seen Mecalfe models (and other makes) as part of many exhibition layouts either face-to-face or in photographs in various model rail magazines. So very often I am left asking the same question "why are they not finished/assembled properly?"

I look on with envy as these fantastic layouts demonstrating modelling standards that I can only dream of achieving, then you spot it, well to me, it jumps out and smacks me in the face the Metcalfe kit. So what am I going on about, well its simple, when you form the shape of a part using these kits you expose the inner substrate of the card which is usually white. What I keep observing is no attempt to colour match the exposed surface to that of the printed body, some of the worst examples include the vent ducts on the Engine Shed model which are left white instead of being paint at least black.

I use children’s poster paints that, with a little care, you can mix to make virtually any colour and they cost pennies, and the difference it makes, to me, is incredible.

So why isn’t this done? If the answer is they are on the layout temporarily whilst a scratch built building is produced why don’t they say this in the text of the magazine articles? And why do they spend so much time and effort matching the scenery around the kit so that it is part of the scene when it is going to be replaced?

Has any one any answers?

Thanks

Last Tracks

Card kits in photos, both in magazines, on forums and websites which are not finished on the edges and corners stand out.

I use colour pencils and textas to match the exposed edges and corners of buildings. It certainly improves them.

Mark in OZ

It irritates the dickens out of me to see Metcalfe (and Superquik) buildings assembled with no attempt to hide the bare card core. As pointed out, the simple application of some watercolour or felt pen that is approximately, say, a brick shade makes a huge difference. Those rolled paper chimneys are pretty naff, its easy enough to substitute some Wills, but reinforce with wire otherwise they'll fall off. Similarly, the lack of gutters and downspouts is dreadful, again Wills (and Ratio) detailing packs contain components to rectify this. A little extra time spent can produce a very good model indeed.

I have been building Scalescenes kits of late. These make very nice models with no exposed card. They still need decent chimneys, gutters and downspouts.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished assembling and modifying a metcalfe N gauge station (another thread) and am fully intending to do something with the exposed card, I also have a set of guttering somewhere to fit.

was thinking of brushing pastel into the cracks to match the brickwork.

[edit] now thinking of fitting some ridge tiles as cornerstones on the station, think it'll work quite nicely.

I've built a few OO Metcalfe kits and always go around window & door openings and the exposed edges with appropriate water colour paint before assembling. Like you, the sight of the bare card irritates me greatly. In fact, I am typing this while waiting for the stone paint to dry before adding brick to the window edges of the brewery I started this morning.

I use the cheap felt tip pens from 'Miffs' and other stationers. Rare not to get a match and easy to use as they are pointed so go in fine gaps. I sometimes use them before gluing, on doors or window frames.

Makes a huge difference and it is a tip that i learned years ago from building card kits of ships. Seagull models as I recall. I wonder what happened to them?

Funnily enough there was someone at Dortmund in 2006 who was selling remainders of card kits one of which was the Nella Dan. That dates it a bit!!

Archived