Hornby Black Five 44762

• RMweb Gold

I recently lent one of my Hornby Black Fives to a friend to run on his layout. My collection of stock is dormant, being held in boxes until a manage to actually build a layout.

On trying it out he reported it was binding and wouldn't run. He returned it to me and I set about diagnosing the fault, which turned out to be a really stiff armature in the motor. So stiff that it did not have enough torque to turn! What's more the grease used to lubricate the worm and gear had turned a creamy colour and seems to have coagulated - to the extent that it is not doing its intended job. I have tried to lubricate with WD40 (I know <_< ) to try to penetrate the bearings and free up the armature - but its not made any difference, so it will need a new motor.

With another 5 Black Fives in my collection, I nervously got another from the box to try it. This one runs forwards, but binds up after covering about 6 inches in reverse. Putting on the rolling road, it runs freely in both directions? Returning to the track and the same issue persisted. Lubricating (sewing machine oil) and 30 mins running in, has helped but the loco still has a slight tight spot ikn reverse.

I am now almost afraid to get another Black five out to test for fear of finding the same problem. I daren't even try the Royal Scots, Patriots, etc..... :(

My question - is this something others have encountered and can anyone advise on a cure/preventative maintenance to save the rest of my collections from a similar fate?

Thanks in anticipation of your advice,

Steve

Get them all out in turn to test and (hopefully) set your mind at ease would be my advice. Although I basically buy modern RTR locos to run them (who would want a loco model for not-running? baffling thought that) I do have some in a stash for spares breaking and planned future projects. All were test run on acquisition, and then probably come out every couple of years for a quick run. Certainly yet to encounter any problems of the 'won't run' type, occasionally one starts out a bit sluggish, but ten minutes later is running freely, which I put down to hardened lubcricant. Your second black 5 may simply have some hardened grease in the gear train causing the hesitation in one direction.

Now, my 'old stuff' whch had lurked in lofts for twenty years, and been well baked when summers were warm; some of those locos were in a 'motor barely turns' state when I returned to model railways. Motor shaft bearings and axles gummed with lubricant residues for the most part. Some thorough cleaning and a light oil relube later, and they were singing away.

Have had numerous problems with ' New ' Hornby locos myself...

I have found faults with quartering, with poor solder joints, metal tyres coming off plastic rims, tight bearings, etc, etc....

Admittedly some of the models have been bought as faulty returns ( for spares and repairs ), but I have also a few which were bought new, and which proved to be faulty.

Most of my purchases are made on line, so unlike visiting a model shop, no chance to test-run - pretty sure most 'box-shifters' don't test-run before they post, certainly every loco appears to be in unruffled 'factory-fresh' packaging...the price we pay for lower prices ? :unsure:

Maybe that's why spare parts are not always offered anymore - there are enough 'non-runners' available for breaking...which reminds me, do you need a Black 5 motor...?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies chaps - whilst mine stay in their boxes for the most part - I have got a small test layout pending the construction of the "grand design"!

I shall just have to take a deep breath and start running them on the rolling road.

Thanks again,

Steve

I must admit, I've not had a massive problem with any of my fleet of 20 Black Fives and 6 8Fs. What I do do is strip each one down as and when I come to rewheel it so that I know all motors and gearsets are running sweetly and not binding/sticking at all.

If it's of any help, the motor is available as a spare (part X4026), though it's not showing as being in stock with Abbiegails (Hornby spares)......

What I have found is that the motors aren't constant in terms of performance or speed - one of mine is a racehorse compared to the rest. Given that they're a mass-produced item, I find this rather odd.

As for more modern items such as Royal Scots etc, you *should* be fine, but you never can be completely sure. Mine are fine anyway!

HTH,

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Tim,

Yes I checked Abigails without success. Fortunately I have two really good sources of Hornby supplies close by - in Whitstable and Woodchurch. I will give them a quick call.

Thanks again,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

No problems with the motor on my Hornby 44762, but I have noticed that the front of the loco is half a buffer-head too high above the rails. I've checked the assembly of the chassis to the body and it appears to be correct. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Archived