Starting In SM32

ste234

After finding out about a new 16mm track at the Model engineering club I go to, I decided to have a go at SM32 Narrow Gauge :)

So, after ordering a basic chassis kit from I.P. Engineering, I bit the bullet and assembled it today :D

It comes basically like an Airfix kit, plasticard pre-cut, just remove the tabs, file down and clag together, assemble the motor and gears and ta-da!

P3065502.jpg

P3065503.jpg

P3065504.jpg

Not the best of photos, I will try and get some better ones but they will do for now.

I need to get it all painted up now, drill bigger holes in the buffers and start to scratch build the body. It is going to be R/C controller and I already have a Acoms Techniplus transmitter from a model Boat project.

I will keep you all informed as progress happens!

Cheers,

Ste :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

To build the whole chassis it only took me around 4 hours, thats without the time waiting for glue to dry and to do the painting!

Well, had a fairly successful day yesterday, ran the loco at York SME and went ran fairly well, the only problem being the makeshift battery-pack coming apart frequently and the motor mount somehow moving, and disengaging the gears, and a slight squeaking noise (as heard in the video) but these are going to be sorted out!

The rake:

P4035608.jpg

Passing the station building:

P4035624.jpg

Passing the Signal Box:

P4035622.jpg

And the video I promised, bit of an edited mash up of a few different clips taken. It's also been shortened by about 5 minutes from original tongue.gif

Thats all for now,

Cheers,

Ste

• 4 weeks later...

So I spent bank holiday Monday knocking up a body out of some plasti-card I had leftover from some other project that never started, It's not really based on anything in particular, just what my imagination came up with!

The roof has been attatched, a hole cut in the bonnet for the front grill/vent thingy and the front and rear of the cab added.

It's starting to look like a loco now :D

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

And the base with battery pack:

IMAG0098.jpg

Work still to be done includes cutting out rear cab windows, profiling the top of the bonnet area and extra little details like louvres and handrails.

Also I've left a little shelf sort of area in the cab where some cab detail will go.

As for the colour, it won't be staying white! The roof and the body base will be black, the same as the chassis, and I'm currently undecided about the main structures colour, possibly an LNER green.

Thats all for now,

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

The loco had it's first run under radio control yesterday, unfortunatley it wasn't the 2.4ghz set I've ordered, this hasn't arrived yet, so I used a 40mhz set instead, and to be honest, I've been pretty impressed with it's running :D

The traction has improved because of the weight of the battery and radio gear, so it now hauls the full rake of trucks with ease.

It also ran for 3 hours flat, only stopping when I went to grab some lunch, which took 5 minutes :lol:

And the squeaky noise has stopped, its amazing what a bit of oil can do :wink:

I cant get the youtube embed code to work, so here is a link;

Also since yesterday the rear windows have been cut out:

IMAG0114.jpg

Thats all for now,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived