model railway magazines

lienbackwards

Living in France and being of limited means the only sub I have is to MRJ. Sometimes it's interesting, sometimes not. It aspires to present the best in the UK plus some highly technical articles. Looking at the other magazines they cover from not very good to excellent so appeal to a wide audience mainly of ready to runners backed up by lots of advertising. What surprises me is that none of them embrace the web as an adjunct to the printed magazine. Printed magazines have, of course, a limited space in which to publish information and photos. When I see a layout I like I go on the web to see if there is more information and photos available. Surely it would be in all the magazines interest to expand what they are offering onto their websites plus videos. This could be paid for extra content.

I think that at least part of the problem is that they simply don't have the staff available to run the website - editorial staff have been cut back everywhere. One that does is Model Trains International we publish every two month - next issue due out 20th March 2011 - and have a forum http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/index.php?sid=692cc3a3ed7dfb91713ce576dc7e5fe1

Best

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Jack, it's probably down to the amount of time and hence money required to produce a 'bells and whistles' web site versus the amount of extra subscribers / revenue it would pull in.

I agree with Jack, it's probably down to the amount of time and hence money required to produce a 'bells and whistles' web site versus the amount of extra subscribers / revenue it would pull in.

But then some them probably don't like the web:

one publisher used to stick a surcharge on adverts if www appeared in adverts, leading to the ludicrous "Website available", which didn't cost extra (and which could usually be found from the email address included in the ad).

One of the benefits of continental magazines and MRJ, is that they aren't stuffed with lists of items in the size of type used for credit card T & Cs, which these days more properly belong on the web.

• RMweb Premium

one publisher used to stick a surcharge on adverts if www appeared in adverts, leading to the ludicrous "Website available", which didn't cost extra (and which could usually be found from the email address included in the ad).

I've always found it ironic that said magazine is the only one to have offered the magazine contents on annual CD for the last few years.

• RMweb Premium

I think that at least part of the problem is that they simply don't have the staff available to run the website - editorial staff have been cut back everywhere. One that does is Model Trains International we publish every two month - next issue due out 20th March 2011 - and have a forum http://forum.mtimag....13ce576dc7e5fe1

Best

Jack

Yet 'Truck Model World' magazine which has a very good forum has only the editor and a couple of contributors and a photographer who are mostly 'part time'. Far fewer staff than most model railway magazines.

Archived