LNER D20 converted to.....LNER D20...!

Hi,

I thought I'd share a long ongoing project here. It's a Union Mills N gauge D20 which I've been heavily detailing and improving - the impetus being damage to the rear of one cabside that would have necessitated some corrective surgery. This is one of the more recent UM models that doesn't stand overly high, so this was one correction I managed to avoid!

I have take the opportunity to therefore go the whole hog on this one. All the moulded handrails have been removed, scale buffers fitted, lamp irons, new safety valves (from diesel loco horns!), stoneguards, brake gear, new front bogie wheels of a much more accurate diameter (Farish tender wheels). The wheels and rods have been toned down and weathered already. The tender is still being fully reworked with a new coal space in brass, additional coal/guard rails around it's top and rear in brass. Still needs more finishing and cleaning up of some of the joins!

The motor has also been replaced with a Mashima unit of identical dimensions, this giving slower running and really really good slow speed control.

Some snaps (sorry low quality as it's dark!):

post-7627-0-29267200-1299527154_thumb.jpg

post-7627-0-28595700-1299527143_thumb.jpg

post-7627-0-36353400-1299527149_thumb.jpg

The loco is getting close to paint now - does anyone know what colour tha splasher beading was in BR days? I've got plenty of B&W reference photos, but no colour ones!

Regards,

Al

Hi,

The loco is getting close to paint now - does anyone know what colour tha splasher beading was in BR days? I've got plenty of B&W reference photos, but no colour ones!

Regards,

Al

The splasher beading was brass and was left brass in BR days, at least it was in early BR days, when these locos were still reasonably well looked after. Photo below of a D20 in early BR days (April 1950), though this was one which had the rebuilt tender with the J39 3500 gallon tank on the original NER tender underframe. The loco, nonetheless, is appropriate to your model.

Also worth noting that this loco was outshopped in BR unlined black and, given that it sports the early BR crest, must have been painted after that crest was introduced which, I believe, was early 1950.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-10520100-1299528240_thumb.jpg

The splasher beading was brass and was left brass in BR days, at least it was in early BR days, when these locos were still reasonably well looked after. Photo below of a D20 in early BR days (April 1950), though this was one which had the rebuilt tender with the J39 3500 gallon tank on the original NER tender underframe. The loco, nonetheless, is appropriate to your model.

Also worth noting that this loco was outshopped in BR unlined black and, given that it sports the early BR crest, must have been painted after that crest was introduced which, I believe, was early 1950.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's just what I needed. Time to procure some brass coloured paint.... ;)

Cheers,

Alan

Archived