track tamper

hi all i would like to build a track tamper from scratch.... but have no idea on where to start or where to get resorces from

if anyone out there has any suggestions i would be greatfull of your knowledge.

non motorized is fine and purchasing a ready to run one is out of the questions

many thanks in advance

kye

hi all i would like to build a track tamper from scratch

You may have to be a bit more specific than that.

The era you wish to model may have large effect on where you need to go. Here may be a useful start - http://www.ontrackplant.com/photos/tags/tamper

Once you know what sort of tamper you wish to model it may be worth approaching the UK offices of the different manufacturers to see if you could either have or buy drawings and any other information avialable. I think Plasser UK at West Ealing would be helpful - I attended an open day at their works a couple of years ago (see here and here - though with just one response I wondered why I bothered with that thread! :lol: ). Specifications of their machines can be found here - http://www.plasser.co.uk/en/machines/machines.htm and they have simple gif files of drawings, such as this one, which I'm sure could be useful.

There's also Matissa UK who have offices at Frodingham depot and there are various sections on their products on their site. Within there are various PDFs on their machines which include a basic drawing which you could use a basis for different prototypes - such as, http://www.matisa.ch/prospectus/ang/b45_ang.pdf But bear in mind that operators tend to have very much bespoke machines compared with how they may appear on makers' websites. Photos will highlight these options. I have various photos of Grant/VolkerRail Tampers too if you were modelling one of their Matisas.

I hope this is of use :)

Guest jim s-w

As James says you need to be a bit more selective.

You have effectivley said "I want to build a loco - please advise" I would say though avoid the 07-16 types as they are available as kits. it would be a shame to go to all the effort of scratchbuilding something for everyone to think its a kit.

Cheers

Jim

Nicely put Jim!

I would say though avoid the 07-16 types as they are available as kits. it would be a shame to go to all the effort of scratchbuilding something for everyone to think its a kit.

I'd also say that the newer types are a little easier for their overall strucutre as they are much more 'boxy' than earlier tampers.

I would say though avoid the 07-16 types as they are available as kits. it would be a shame to go to all the effort of scratchbuilding something for everyone to think its a kit.

Don't even bother converting the kit into a different variant either (07-275), as people still ask you if it's the kit. :rolleyes:

Have tried contacting Plassers for drawings before and received no reply.

I have operators manual diagrams for some machines.

Bachmann now do the old Lilliput 07 motorised, Britannia Pacific do the kit, Kibri do many unpowered kits in HO if you could live with that.

Archived