Help with these whitemetal wagon kits

Please could someone help me with these whitemetal wagon kits, I got them from Ebay and the seller had no idea what they are.

post-1131-0-92749900-1299875675_thumb.jpg

This first one is 60mm long and I think it is a single bolster wagon, the parts on the left may be strapping from another kit. I have 2 of them.

post-1131-0-73878800-1299875781_thumb.jpg

This second one is 112mm long and I think it is the chassis from a Kemilway Mink D or a double bolster wagon, the parts on the left may be from another kit.

Thanks in advance

This second one is 112mm long and I think it is the chassis from a Kemilway Mink D or a double bolster wagon, the parts on the left may be from another kit.

With eyebolt suspension it is more likely to be the Mink D (or even Fruit D if it's the right length) than a bolster wagon.

With eyebolt suspension it is more likely to be the Mink D (or even Fruit D if it's the right length) than a bolster wagon.

Kenline did a Fruit D not a Mink D (bad memory). If it were not for the planked sides I would have guessed that the other 2 chassis were for their LMS/NE/SR opens but I think they are single bolster wagons and as far as I know Kenline never did them.

Your first pair could well be the HR twin bolster set produced by K's. The axleguards and buffers look very much of their ilk.

Diagnostic: if the whitemetal has about the same stiffness as electrical solder (best quality putty metal), that's a K's kit.

Melt them down for ballast weights, it's about the only model railway application they are useful for...

Definitely not the K's HR twin wagon. This has 2 plank sides and open ends. K's buffers are turned brass apart from some rubbish white metal ones, that look the same (or at least would if the two moulded halves matched up). All K's kits have axleguards integral with the sides (and prone to break off).The buffers appear to be ABS GWR type. Could it be the ABS GWR MITE/MACAW kit? The axleguards have GWR OK oil boxes.

The Kenline kit was a MINK D (the later FRUIT D was the same length - 28' 6" - with lever brakes rather than DC*), but I don't know if these solebar units are theirs. All the ones I saw had separate axleguards, but later production may be different.

* 112mm is correct allowing 1mm each for the headstocks - the earlier FRUIT D was shorter and similar to the MINK C.

Your first pair could well be the HR twin bolster set produced by K's. The axleguards and buffers look very much of their ilk.

Don't think it's K's. The K's HR Twin Bolsters had no end planks over the headstocks and most, if not all, of their kits had the axleguards/springs/axleboxes as part of the main bodyside casting.

They are not D&S neither as I have a set of these as well as the K,s. Also the construction is different from K's. The axle boxes on both wagons are GWR and it looks like a 16' roll wagon (Pictorial Record of GWR Wagons page 30 Fig70)as the sides, ends and buffers are the same.

I have a Kenline LMS coke wagon and the axleboxes are on the same casting as the solebars. Could build it in to a signal department wagon?

It depends on the age of the MITE. Page 39 of 'A History of GWR Goods Wagons Vol 2' shows a photo of two of them The older pair have one plank sides the later a steel curb rail. The give away is the short wheelbase of 7 feet, with a length over headstocks of 15 feet.

Roll wagons are mentioned as conversions of 15 foot 2 plank wagons (page 9).but Vol 1 (p35) lists Roll wagons as conversions of 1 and 2 plank opens and MACAWs. The kit could thus serve as MACAW, MITE or roll wagon. (also listed as match truck.)

There is another photo of the MITE, with a note that the sides are missing.

http://www.flickr.co...N08/4329679571/

The ABS kit can be seen to have sides in the eBay picture..(just noted its price £1.54 for two wagons! :unsure: )

Archived