Weathering a TTA Wagon

I'm working on detailing and weathering a TTA wagon (3 actually). I've read about using black paint and varnish to build up layers, but not seen any more detail than that. I though I'd just drip a bit on the top at the hatch where they fill it. Then it would run down the sides. However it actually ran along the top under the walkway.

I'm using these two photos as my references:

Ref Image 1

Ref Image 2

How should I apply the liquid (brush, dropper, airbrush etc), and does anyone have a recommendation for how much of black, how much varnish and how much thinner? Oh and should it be "black" or should I put a dash of brown in there too?

Calum

• 4 weeks later...

I've done lots of weathering in my time, though I haven't done a TTA (yet!). I think the problem is getting the paint touching the footway on the top, and as this is VERy close to the top of the tank, the paint would have to be extremely thinned out with thinners. Use a hypodermic needle if you can get one (ask your dentist nicely, explaining exactly what you want it for, and he may break off the tips of his used needles (so they can't be used for, ahem, anything else!) for you. Alternatively, a chemist may get one or two syringes and needles for you if you explain what you want them for!

I thin my paints out with cigarette lighter fluid - the petrol makes the paint very thin and it evaporates quickly, so the paint dries quicker. I've used it with both brush and with my Badger airbrush with no problems at all.

As for colour, go with a mix of black and brown, not mixed but applied separately and thinned out well - remember it's very easy to apply paint to a vehicle, but it's very difficult to remove successfully!

All the best,

Bill :)

Hi Calum, when I weathered mine a while ago; first of all I sprayed Tamiya flat black (thinned down) using an airbrush over the rough area for the spill and then used layers to build up the stain. Once happy I then added over the top weathering powders to give the recent fresh/wet look applied using a flat brush.

The walkway was painted using the same paint but then removed using cotton buds/thinners to leave the black in certain areas.

Here is a photo of the TTAs before the wet stains were added:

DPP_0742s.jpg

Hope that helps.

Archived