HST Intercity Executive "Swallow" coaches

rprodgers

• RMweb Premium

Just looking through several online retailers quite a number offering power car set R2702 but were there any coaches issued and still available anywhere to complement the power cars.

An old Hornby mini catalogue leaflet suggested that in this livery they only offered a buffet car (wrong type?) and a TGS ...which doesnt sound that useful

Hornby any chance of more coaches in this livery and I might buy some power cars?

RP

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby "HST" trailers in IC livery are also numbered as LHCS in the 1xxxx series and not the 4xxxx HST series. My IC HST has to make do with seven Hornby coaches with incorrect numbers (pending renumbering) and a mismatched Lima-style TGS. On the other hand if everything had been issued together we would have heard cries of "can't afford" or "spread them out" so it seems the poor manufacturer can never win with us whether or not they get the details correct on their products.

A full set of coach types (as noted above, numbered as loco-hauled stock - including the two with the power cars in the R2613 set) were produced to go with the last release of the old-style power cars in Swallow livery (R2613) - a couple of years before the new-style ones. AFAIK, that was the last release of Swallow coaches (TFO - R4294, TSO - R4295, TRBF - R4296, TGS - R4314).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

A full set of coach types (as noted above, numbered as loco-hauled stock - including the two with the power cars in the R2613 set) were produced to go with the last release of the old-style power cars in Swallow livery (R2613) - a couple of years before the new-style ones. AFAIK, that was the last release of Swallow coaches (TFO - R4294, TSO - R4295, TRBF - R4296, TGS - R4314).

Adrian

Thanks Adrian I thought there hadnt been any new ones produced which seems strange and explains why there are so many power cars in this livery available.

There appears to be a glut of MK3s for sale in BR blue and grey and quite a number of Mk3 sleepers but no TF, TS, TGS, TRBF to be bought with Swallow liveried PCs.

Gwiwer I understand what you mean but surely if suitable coaches are not available to buy the sales of the PCs will be difficult and slow

RP

Gwiwer I understand what you mean but surely if suitable coaches are not available to buy the sales of the PCs will be difficult and slow

The HST may be an odd case given that the weak link in the HST sold by Hornby for the previous 10 years was the power cars, so I'd not be suprised if there was a significant number of upgraders out there.

The HST may be an odd case given that the weak link in the HST sold by Hornby for the previous 10 years was the power cars, so I'd not be suprised if there was a significant number of upgraders out there.

That is exactly what I did. I had a full set of coaches with older power cars so I just upgraded the power cars.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I had an old-style HST with short trailers and upgraded to the newer version as and when the cars became available. The trailers were out first so the new set ran with the old power cars for a while before they too were retired.

Archived