N gauge steam loco front wheels

I'm thinking of buying an N-gauge steam loco to run steam specials on my BR blue era layout. The only issue I have is that looking at photos of GF steam locos on various internet sites, the front wheels on 4-6-2, 4-6-0 etc. locos look very chunky in the width department. Is it possible to fit replacements and how easy is this to do? Apologies for my lack of knoweldge here - I am new to N-gauge and 100% new to model steam locos!!

Many thanks, Phil.

I'm thinking of buying an N-gauge steam loco to run steam specials on my BR blue era layout. The only issue I have is that looking at photos of GF steam locos on various internet sites, the front wheels on 4-6-2, 4-6-0 etc. locos look very chunky in the width department. Is it possible to fit replacements and how easy is this to do? Apologies for my lack of knoweldge here - I am new to N-gauge and 100% new to model steam locos!!

Many thanks, Phil.

An age old problem with N gauge, the answer is difficult, ..no..... but there may be the alternative of using 2mm society wheels, but they are really designed for fine scale track use, and not be a match for the drivers, and difficult to fit.

N gauge has always had relatively course scale wheels, and are getting a bit finer commercially, but there have never been suppliers of finer versions, Beaver did try a few years ago, but no others as far as I know, and Beaver are long gone.

With a lathe is it possible to modify some of the wheels, but they are often plated and it ruins the surface.

By chance you may find wheels from another make look better, but it's chance when it happens.

Stephen.

Those are only on the older Farish heritage locomotives, the new Scots and Jubilees have much improved front wheels, in fact you get a choice - nice curves on your layout and you can use a very nice set, use set track curves and there is a more suitable set that won't foul the pistons.

All new Farish will follow this example, so if you are modelling LMS then you will be well served with N Farish as a new Black 5 is coming. The Farish 2-8-0 had a better front wheel all along so won't look out of place against the other new stock.

I am hoping that in the next couple of years the A1 and A2 follow down the line along with a new A4 all based on the 4mm mouldings, but in the meantime I can make do with the LMS stuff.

One option is http://www.nbrassloc....uk/GWRfit.html - kits to replace the front bogies for GWR locos. They have similar items for BR and the rest of the big four. I've never tried these.

It also might be possible to use parts from North American or Japanese steam locos.

Adrian

It looks the best bet, they seem to have sourced new wheels, albeit with a low spoke count.

Stephen.

Those are only on the older Farish heritage locomotives, the new Scots and Jubilees have much improved front wheels, in fact you get a choice - nice curves on your layout and you can use a very nice set, use set track curves and there is a more suitable set that won't foul the pistons.

Yes, with both the new Jubilee and Royal Scots you receive 2 sets of front pony wheels. Usually fitted when purchased are the smaller of the two, which allows running round tight curves. These are much bigger than pre-existing wheels which are supplied on the older Farish locos (Kings, Hall, Castle, Black 5, A3+5 etc). They look quite fine, similar to the existing ones on the old Peco Jubilee. The second set is closer to scale size, but limits you to less tighter curves, 15 inch if I remember correctly. If your layout allows it, you can fit the larger ones to your Scot/Jub and then fit the other one to one of the older Farish types to improve them. This may require some filing under the bodywork as there are some clearance issues, especially the front footsteps on the Black 5.

The N-brass bogies kits are good too, but once again you may experience some clearance issues, which will require a visit by Mr File, especially on the Duchess. But well worth it to improve loco appearance.

Archived