How to model sea over a baseboard joint?

I'm building rather a long layout (> 2.5 metres) in N. Most of the front half will be shallow sea water and I will need to have at least three baseboards and thus two joints. I currently can't think of any convincing way of hiding the joint and I'm worried that a line through the water will look daft. If anyone has got any ideas to mitigate this problem I'd be grateful.

I've never modeled water before. Current plans are to use "Realistic Water", though I'm intending to make a trial patch of water before ruining my layout.

thanks

Julian Thornhill

Only thing I can think of are piers or jetty's. Make them removable, and fit them in place once the baseboards are together. Oh and thinking about some photos I have just seen of 400 Beached whales in the Falkland Islands, how about a stranded Whale. They had a very large ###### Whale in Kent last week.

Edited to add: Apparently that type of whale has an offensive name

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363126/######-whale-washes-Kent-45ft-sea-titan-starved-death.html

Guest stuartp

Sewer outfall pipe ? (Nice !). Groynes often have the beach higher on one side than the other (not the water, obviously) which might add a bit of interest.

What form will the shore take? If rocks, then you could think about extending the rocks into the sea at the joint. If it is a beach, then how about a groyne?

Nick

Sadly, in the real location it is simply sea, no rocks, no groynes, just water. It is a sheltered location, so there aren't any waves to speak of either.

Julian Thornhill

Sadly, in the real location it is simply sea, no rocks, no groynes, just water. It is a sheltered location, so there aren't any waves to speak of either.

Julian Thornhill

Sounds like an ideal location for a moored boat or two to cover the joints?

How frequently is the layout to be assembled/taken down? If it is a home layout to be left in situ for long periods of time cling film stretched over the joins and painted to match the water might work, but if the layout is for exhibitions wet paint along the front edge may not be a good idea.

Archived