Calling on boards/discs

• RMweb Gold

Hello Basil,

Thanks for the post. I think, however, that Maerdy Junction 'box was in Ferndale, alongside Ferndale Loco. Your diagram seems to bear this out, in relation to the up & down lines. Maerdy only had the single plartform AFAIK, and both platform & entrance to Maerdy Colliery were single line. The station had a cattle dock at the end of the platform run-round.

HTH

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Basil,

Thanks for the post. I think, however, that Maerdy Junction 'box was in Ferndale, alongside Ferndale Loco. Your diagram seems to bear this out, in relation to the up & down lines. Maerdy only had the single plartform AFAIK, and both platform & entrance to Maerdy Colliery were single line. The station had a cattle dock at the end of the platform run-round.

HTH

Ian

And Maerdy station didn't open until 1889 - presumably the signalbox dated from then and as far as I can make out either a new 'box or a substantial alteration happened at that time at Maerdy Jcn. But interesting for all that as these old diagrams are always fascinating (for me at any rate).

• RMweb Gold

Its interesting to notice that there are FPL's coming off the single line, and trap points protecting coming off the (I think) Loco depot. As Maerdy opened a bit later, I'm wondering why the need for FPL & traps on a mineral branch? If Ferndale was the terminus.....

Regards,

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

attac a recetly acquired photo of TVR days - see two bar signal etc; hope it helps

It comes from a new site to me - Heritage Images: and they have just added a new collection; Glamorganshire stations;

http://www.heritage-images.com/

I have no connection apart from customer with them.

Regards

Basil

Archived