The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Wootton Bassett honoured

shortliner

• RMweb Premium

As they should be. No less deserved after showing the rest of the country how to show respect for the people who gave the ultimate sacrifice in defense of this country.

Absolutely. An honour long overdue.

Guest Dutch_Master

Just what they deserved! The people of Wootton Bassett showed the world in an impressive way that no matter how a politically divided the UK is and probably will be for a long time, it will stand united in grief and respect for those who paid the ultimate price for their country. Thank you for being that small spark of hope and civilisation in a society sometimes so deeply divided... :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Quite right too. My son in law is a serving soldier and I know from conversations with him how much the respect shown by the people of Wooton Basset means to the armed forces.

The irony with this is that the repatriations were originally at Brize but moved to Lyneham because the Oxfordshire Coroner was being too critical of the then government.

The original political aim was that by moving to Lyneham the Wiltshire coroner might be more accommodating and less critical ( thankfully he wasn't and remains just as independent) and the return of the fallen would be less of a political thorn in the side.

Thanks to the people of Wootton Bassett and the other people on the route to Oxford this wasn't to be.

Of course why we are closing a 2 runway airbase and moving to a single runway base is another questionangry.gif

Colin

The irony with this is that the repatriations were originally at Brize but moved to Lyneham because the Oxfordshire Coroner was being too critical of the then government.

The original political aim was that by moving to Lyneham the Wiltshire coroner might be more accommodating and less critical ( thankfully he wasn't and remains just as independent) and the return of the fallen would be less of a political thorn in the side.

Thanks to the people of Wootton Bassett and the other people on the route to Oxford this wasn't to be.

Of course why we are closing a 2 runway airbase and moving to a single runway base is another questionangry.gif

Colin

Far be it from me to say that going from 2 to 1 is a shining example of "Cut-backs", or suggest that keeping one runway in good repair is cheaper than doing that with two!

Cynical old me!

I do think that some of the decisions being made at high level are going to come back to bite some people in th a*s*. What is the "No-fly zone" going to be enforced with?

BTW RAF Kinloss has just had its life extended, because of a huge NATO/ Canadian exercise http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12333093

Far be it from me to say that going from 2 to 1 is a shining example of "Cut-backs", or suggest that keeping one runway in good repair is cheaper than doing that with two!

Cynical old me!

I do think that some of the decisions being made at high level are going to come back to bite some people in th a*s*. What is the "No-fly zone" going to be enforced with?

BTW RAF Kinloss has just had its life extended, because of a huge NATO/ Canadian exercise http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-12333093

The hope of our local MP is that Lyneham remains military related but What have we got that needs such a base ? You can fit the whole of the Navy inside Plymouth Argyll FC ground.

All I can say is that its not just at the top level decisions are made - anyone want any 22GBP lightbulbs! and despite the comments that they were specials my sources say no they were normal tungsten bulbs.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

My other hobby is fishing, and a lake I fish is on the approach to RAF Lyneham and over the last few years have seen a fair few repatriation flights come in on the Galaxies. Always a sobering moment when they come in and gets everything in perspective.

Really good that Wootton Bassett has got the recognition it deserves. Shame the base is closing at Lyneham.

Neil

Archived