Wiley City

... When he's older I'll be taking a stepstool ...

An essential item to take to any Exhibition, I've found!! I still take my lad's even though he's eight, as there'll always be a layout a bit too high for him to see well... oh yeah, like the one I've built... :rolleyes: :( ;)

• 2 weeks later...

An essential item to take to any Exhibition, I've found!! I still take my lad's even though he's eight, as there'll always be a layout a bit too high for him to see well... oh yeah, like the one I've built... :rolleyes: :( ;)

Elliot has been "helping" over the last few days, although was surprised to get up from his afternoon nap and see a big empty space where the layout was....:

post-6819-0-30333400-1307717684_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-52347900-1307717757_thumb.jpg

Just to prove the layout did make it to TVNAM, here are a couple of photos of it at the show....:

post-6819-0-30058200-1307908593_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-63803700-1307908684_thumb.jpg

Overall, I was really happy with the way it ran, probably the best debut of any layout I've been involved with. The Antex iron wasn't needed after the show opened, the few repairs needed being done with an instant "Cold Heat" soldering iron. Some adjustment to the positions of the overhead frogs will be needed but I thought that in the days running up to the show but didn;t want to then commit to ripping it all down and starting again.

There are of course a few cosmetic improvements to make such as another building and a but more grass and bushes, plus I might try doing something with the backscene. One problem however is it has proved to be the most boring layout to operate for any length of time, and there's not alot I can do about that...

Guest jonte

........ One problem however is it has proved to be the most boring layout to operate for any length of time, and there's not alot I can do about that...

Looks good though!

Jonte

And as one door opens, another closes. My first YVT layout, which appeared in March 2006 CM and at a dozen or shows in 2006 and 2007 and depicted the section along North 6th Ave to Selah (Fruit Row), has been served it's closure notice and the layout stripped of useful bits and scrapped.

I know I could have done other things with it such as connect it to Wiley or try to rebuild it's various little idiosyncracies, but at the end of the day it had served all useful purpose and desperately needed putting out of it's misery. However, it will live on as the Fruit Row buildings are being mounted onto a small board for further display or as a micro-layout, as will the Rock crusher.

post-6819-0-06287700-1308321852_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-39434400-1308321957_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-86399600-1308322005_thumb.jpg

The Antex iron wasn't needed after the show opened, the few repairs needed being done with an instant "Cold Heat" soldering iron.

I'd never heard of a cold heat soldering iron until just! Are they used in exactly the same way as a traditional iron and are there any down-sides to using the?

Steve

I'd never heard of a cold heat soldering iron until just! Are they used in exactly the same way as a traditional iron and are there any down-sides to using the?

Steve

http://science.howstuffworks.com/cold-heat.htm

As explained, it passes a current between the carbon contacts on the tip and heats up whatever bridges them, in our case a broken joint in the overhead which is obviously tinned and just needs a bit of flux to help. Not so good for big joints that require alot of heat, but useful for instant repairs as the iron doesn't need to heat up or the cable trailed around the layout.

I saw your original Yakima at the NMRA meet at Kegworth a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent. Shame to hear it's coming to an end but as Jack said it's good some bits of it will live on as part of another project.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/cold-heat.htm

As explained, it passes a current between the carbon contacts on the tip and heats up whatever bridges them, in our case a broken joint in the overhead which is obviously tinned and just needs a bit of flux to help. Not so good for big joints that require alot of heat, but useful for instant repairs as the iron doesn't need to heat up or the cable trailed around the layout.

I wonder how convenient it would be for soldeing feeds to rail?

I wonder how convenient it would be for soldeing feeds to rail?

I doubt you could get enough energy into the joint without it dissipating, and anyway, I find it best to solder feeds to the underside of the rail before permanently fixing the track down so they can't be seen.

I doubt you could get enough energy into the joint without it dissipating, and anyway, I find it best to solder feeds to the underside of the rail before permanently fixing the track down so they can't be seen.

To be honest, that's the method I prefer and I did wonder about heat dissipation. Still, a good piece of kit to have in an emergency

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just as an excuse to bump this thread in my own content list, here is one of the out-takes from today's magazine photo shoot. I thought I'd try a long shot showing 298 and a Trolley, but the results weren't as good as I'd hoped. The image uses "CombineZP" as outlined in RMweb's October Modelling Inspirations.

post-6819-0-28753100-1320448979_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've cut 'n pasted part of an image of 298 whilst the hoods were off during an overhaul to show the air tank and blower, but can't decide if it works...? I need to decide soon as zazzle's sale ends tomorrow...

post-6819-0-27390800-1321735439_thumb.jpg

Archived