Exmouth Junction Exposed

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this is of any interest, but a sizeable area of the floor of Exmouth Junction Loco Shed in Exeter has appeared.

Contractors working on the extension of Morrisons Supermarket in Prince Charles Road, Exeter, have uncovered it, barely a foot below ground level.

Clearly visible is the brick and concrete floor, and the pits between the rails filled up with ash. Theres even a few bits of rail.

I dont suppose this will be visible for long, I'll take some photos in the morning.

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Well done Dave, bring a bit of history back, can not wait to see the photos.:D

Don't hold your breath too hard guys, its not THAT exciting, its a muddy building site!

Its a dull, damp and grey morning here, I've just been and taken some photos and I'll post them this evening.

If the weather brightens up later I'll try and get some better shots.

Cheers, Dave.

That brings back memories, I remember walking home from school past the site

watching each day as the ball and chain did its work. The day they blew up the coaling tower

I seem to remember watching the fuse burn across the yard through rubble, (although my

memory may be playing tricks about that).

• RMweb Gold

That brings back memories, I remember walking home from school past the site

watching each day as the ball and chain did its work. The day they blew up the coaling tower

I seem to remember watching the fuse burn across the yard through rubble, (although my

memory may be playing tricks about that).

Didnt they have problems demolishing that part and had to call in the Marines?

Since when has the supermarket been a Morrisons? Last time I was there I'm sure it was Co-OP (though it started off as a 'Leos'!)

When the coaling tower was demolished I understood the explosives should have detonated in two phases,

those away from the mainline blowing first causing the tower to fall into the yard, demolishing itself in the process.

In fact what happened was that it sat down, on its haunches as it were, then had to be broken up manually.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Here are this mornings photos, shot in dull grey damp conditions. I did say they werent very exciting!

post-5825-0-57757500-1300486282_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-25761300-1300486210_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-36219500-1300486224_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-06322400-1300486238_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-36794300-1300486252_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-16270100-1300486269_thumb.jpg

Not a lot to say about them really, but the domed brick floor is interesting, presumably to aid drainage into the pits.

The Site Foreman told me (after having asked me who I was and what I was doing) that theres going to be extensive re-organising of the road access and petrol station, so who knows how much more will re-appear.

Once the site is fenced off though, it probably wont be visible to the public

• RMweb Premium

Since when has the supermarket been a Morrisons? Last time I was there I'm sure it was Co-OP (though it started off as a 'Leos'!)

It was closed for a while for refurbishment, and re-opened as Morrisons in August 2009

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot to say about them really, but the domed brick floor is interesting, presumably to aid drainage into the pits.

It's long time since I walked round there (unofficially - oops) - and most of the few locos on shed were Western types; thanks for the memory. Doming of the brick floor in the way those pics show was quite common in steam sheds although often pretty subtle in order to reduce the chance of people slipping.

Marvellous shed.

If there was ever a shed which seemed to have far too many locos on it's allocation this was the one.

I remember a weekend in Devon and area with the Walsall Locomotive Society.

We stayed at a motel nearby after visiting the shed on a Saturday afternoon and then did it again before leaving on Sunday morning.

Obsessive - us?

Archived