Hinksey Yard stock in 2010

Dave Searle

That's right Dave, I and 2 reception then 1-7 in the South and 1-6 in the north, then at the far north it's the Loop where stock is usually stabled and I can't recall ever calling the 2 extentions of the reception roads anything :blush: but they must have a name!

Certainly have ...

No 1 reception neck [46 slu] and No 2 reception neck [40 slu] and after Tuckwells crossing they become the neck [26 slu].

Your No 7 road south was originally designated the 'C and W repair siding' hence the cripples that I hope you are photting for posterity Brian before they disappear.

• RMweb Premium

Lots of great info here, thank you all for your contributions.

A couple of further questions:

1. Would Class 59's be used on any of the trains supplying new ballast? With IOA or JNA wagons?

2. Are there any good photos of the building (office?) that is hiding behind the lattice fence?

Many thanks for your continuing help.

Cheers,

Dave

1. Would Class 59's be used on any of the trains supplying new ballast? With IOA or JNA wagons?

No, the VQ stone doesn't come from the Westbury area, it comes from the North at present.

As an alternative, just looking up Oxford on Freightmaster and it says there is a "Q" from Westbury/Whatley to Oxford Banbury Rd, usual power is a 66 but that's the train that looks like your best bet for a logical class 59 substitution?

7A14 / 7C54 are the codes to search on - and: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=7C54+oxford&hl=en&safe=active&sa=2

suggests that all three varieties of 59 are fair game - you can do a real "dogs breakfast" mix of boxes on mendip traffic in the past year as well - Yeoman JYA, MRL JNA, VTG (ex Railtrack) green JNA and even the old Tiphook JRAs and a couple of types of ex scrap service box have been used recently! :)

59s aren't unknown working weekend engineers trains off Westbury, but i'd suspect that "location location location" is behind that and the same logic doesn't work for Hinksey!

2. Are there any good photos of the building (office?) that is hiding behind the lattice fence?

Have you looked at Bing's birds eye view for that kind of thing?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn,

No, the VQ stone doesn't come from the Westbury area, it comes from the North at present.

As an alternative, just looking up Oxford on Freightmaster and it says there is a "Q" from Westbury/Whatley to Oxford Banbury Rd, usual power is a 66 but that's the train that looks like your best bet for a logical class 59 substitution?

7A14 / 7C54 are the codes to search on - and: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=7C54+oxford&hl=en&safe=active&sa=2

suggests that all three varieties of 59 are fair game - you can do a real "dogs breakfast" mix of boxes on mendip traffic in the past year as well - Yeoman JYA, MRL JNA, VTG (ex Railtrack) green JNA and even the old Tiphook JRAs and a couple of types of ex scrap service box have been used recently! :)

59s aren't unknown working weekend engineers trains off Westbury, but i'd suspect that "location location location" is behind that and the same logic doesn't work for Hinksey!

OK, thanks for that - it looks like it would be a special case then rather than a typical working.

Have you looked at Bing's birds eye view for that kind of thing?

I've not come across that before, just had a look and those are exactly the sort of views I need. It seems a lot better than the Google maps equivalent.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Dave

I reckon you would be OK for a class 59 on the oxford aggregate.

That's the gist of what I was trying to say Rob :D Even if it's not the most common power it happens enough to appear in pictures, and with any of the flavours of 59 as well.

That's the real shame about Fotopic being lost, it was fabulous at searching on a headcode to get a decent overview. :rolleyes:

That's the gist of what I was trying to say Rob :D Even if it's not the most common power it happens enough to appear in pictures, and with any of the flavours of 59 as well.

That's the real shame about Fotopic being lost, it was fabulous at searching on a headcode to get a decent overview. :rolleyes:

How about the 11.03.2011 Didcot - Ashchurch working?

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/59201_6B36_M_Ash_110311.jpg

Would this have worked via Oxford to Worcester,or would it have gone via Swindon in both directions?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

If you had mentioned the mess room last week I could have taken some pics of it but I won't be down there for a while now.

Sorry :(

However, we are not in a hurry - we won't be getting around to modelling it for a few months yet. Any photos you could take next time you're there would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Dave

Lately there have been a few 59 hauled engineers off Hinksey, both the Mendip and DB types. Maybe one 59 hauled with the balance 66 hauled on a weekend. They tend to run up light engine (often a convoy of several locos) from Westbury, normally 0Wxx.

In addition to what Martyn's said in terms of the Appleford / Oxford Banbury Rd stones running from Whatley, from recent observations I'd say at present 59:66 ratio is somewhere around the 70:30 mark. 59s do seem to work it often enough, despite what is printed in the guide and the fact it's one of the shorter trains Mendip Rail run. Occasionally a 60 may turn up on it, too.

I've included this photo as it shows a typical mix of wagons well, despite the rarer class 60 haulage

post-6899-0-12068000-1300751325_thumb.jpg

3x VTG JNA (VTG34xx/CAIB34xx)

5x Mendip JNA (NACO39xx/CAIB39xx/VTG39xx)

2x Yeoman JYA (OK32xx)

1x Mendip JNA (NACO39xx/CAIB39xx/VTG39xx)

4x Yeoman JYA (OK32xx)

1x Yeoman JYA (OK32xx)

On this other occasion behind 59205 its only Mendip JNAs and Yeoman JYAs in tow

post-6899-0-84876600-1300751729_thumb.jpg

HTH

jo

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Jo,

Many thanks for this info and photos, I've just noticed that I hadn't replied, so apologies for not responding earlier.

We just need a class 59 now... I wonder if we can stretch to a CJM one? :unsure:

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn,

Given the cost of those (although they are very nice!) i'm sorta surprised nobody has come out with a conversion kit from a 66?

There appear to be some alternatives.

BH Enterprises make a kit to go on a Farish (Poole) class 50 chassis.

Worsley make a 2mm "Origami in brass" body only kit.

Shapeways produce a 3D printed version which I believe ewsjo is building.

So there are some other options. I'm tempted to try the Worsley one with a Farish or Dapol 66 chassis.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Jo has pretty much finished his Shapeways 59.

Grahame carried out butchery on a Dapol 66 to make a 59/1.

Given the number of liveries carried I am surprised Dapol haven't done one yet, though I suppose they may be put off by the detail variations.

Cheers, Mike

BH Enterprises make a kit to go on a Farish (Poole) class 50 chassis.

Worsley make a 2mm "Origami in brass" body only kit.

Shapeways produce a 3D printed version which I believe ewsjo is building.

So there are some other options. I'm tempted to try the Worsley one with a Farish or Dapol 66 chassis.

Hi Dave,

Some details about the 3D printed 59 here: http://www.rmweb.co....age__tag__59004 As Mike says, just about done

Indeed on the product page on Shapeways Jack's used pics of mine. Still don't think he's finished his :lol:

I've used BHE sideframes on mine - they don't quite line up with the wheels due to the comrpmise of being designed to go on a standard Farish chassis as you say. The body is also too short IIRC, part of the Farish 50 chassis legacy

The Worsley etches are very nice - haven't seen one built up though.

An RTR 59 would be very welcome here though

Hope this helps,

jo

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, I was giving a talk to the club last night about Hinksey and a few questions came up:

1. Are the incoming ballast boxes and outgoing auto-ballasters all unloaded and loaded by the excavator?  Does it take a long time?

2. Is the spindly pole and bar across the left hand track in the photo a loading gauge?

post-203-0-60316600-1359019315.jpg

3.  Where does the 08 get its fuel from?

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Dave

There has been no bulk ballast trains into Hinksey for a while. Probably start again when the Bicester road is doubled. The same digger unloads it and loads any wagons that need filling. It does not take too long to unload a train, about 3-4 hours. 

The little pole is a water spray but I have never know it working.

A lorry fuels the 08, when we have one!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for that information. The audience seemed to think that it would be a slow way of loading/unloading large quantities of ballast, but 3-4 hours seems reasonable.

So the pole is a water spray - is there any form of loading gauge to limit the height of ballast loads - or are loads simply kept below the tops of the sides of the wagons?

Many thanks to you and the other contributors to this topic. Thanks to you all, I was able to sound quite knowledgeable about the working of the yard and the club members who have not been very involved in the project now have a better understanding of what we are building.

Cheers,

Dave

Archived