Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

H&M Clipper model train controllers....information required.

brian777999

I am still using a H&M Safety Minor, which uses a slider with a carbon brush to travel over the bared windings of the transformer secondary, producing a varying voltage without using a variable resistance. As the control knob is turned the slider travels over the windings effectively bringing more in to circuit. Thus the output is varied without a significant change in total circuit resistance. The current from the slider is rectified, either full wave or half wave, as determined by a switch. Quite a clever design for its time, and gives excellent control. even with coreless motors.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My H&M was purchased with an English electrical plug. It has the usual three pins but upon opening it up I have discovered that there is no earth wire. Instead there is a fuse and only two wires. I have never seen a plug with a fuse in it before. How do I replace this English plug with an Australian plug ? I assume that because there is no earth wire than the fuse is important and I should not just use an Australian two pin plug.

YOU don't, unless you are suitably qualified, if you were, you wouldn't be asking this question. The regulations state that it is illegal in Australia to do such work. Only equipment that is double insulated, ought to be fitted with 2 wire cords. The standards are quite different in the UK to Australia and fuses in plugs in Australia isn't allowed.

Best thing to do is buy an adaptor

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP4027

Edit. Replaced by with buy.

• RMweb Premium

Is there a qualification for changing a plug? I would like a nice certificate for my loo wall.

There is a course in NSW. But I'm only telling the regulations, not offering an opinion. So don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.oztagg.com.au/plugtopcourse.htm

Note the prerequisite and the fact that the course is full, most days. I guess you COULD spend a day & some money to do the course & get your loo certificate, when in Sydney on holiday.

:stinker:

But Brian & I don't live in NSW!

While writing this I've actually repaired an extension cord - the socket end being reversed Active & Neutral - a definite no, no as I'm sure everyone here will agree. I've got a proper tester & I've done the Test & Tag course, FWIW. It now passes & no, I don't know who repaired it prior to me. The socket is a replacement.

Archived