Loksound 3.5 in Hornby Rebuilt West Country

s182ggu

Hi

Can anyone please advise the best location for the chip in this loco? As far as I can see, it won't fit far enough into the boiler barrel (on it's side due to the barrel weights) to avoid the plug / socket and there doesn't seem to be enough room above the plug / socket to fit it.

Thanks in advance - any assistance gratefully accepted.

If this is much the same as the rebuilt MN, you will need to either buy a smaller chip (suggestions as to the TCS one that plugs into the 8 pin direct or the M1 from the same manufacturer or the CT Elektronix decoder ) which will probably squeeze up the side of the weight or remove the weight and replace it with lead strip further up the smokebox.

Don't be tempted to run without the weight, it stops the model porpoising on the sprung rear axle.

David / Martin

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated. I have one additional question:

I've removed the weight-retaining screw from under the boiler barrel, but for the life of me, I can't get the weight to come out - am I missing something?

David / Martin

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated. I have one additional question:

I've removed the weight-retaining screw from under the boiler barrel, but for the life of me, I can't get the weight to come out - am I missing something?

Only that you need to chisel the boss away so that the weight slides out rearwards. Bit of a bodge on a lovely model but the only solution I fear.

Only that you need to chisel the boss away so that the weight slides out rearwards. Bit of a bodge on a lovely model but the only solution I fear.

Thanks David

Is the the boss for the weight-retaining screw?

Thanks David

Is the the boss for the weight-retaining screw?

Yes. The boss is plastic and purely there to locate the weight and a mount for the screw. It is obviously fitted before the boiler is mounted on the chassis plate and nobody expected it to be removed afterwards.

Yes. The boss is plastic and purely there to locate the weight and a mount for the screw. It is obviously fitted before the boiler is mounted on the chassis plate and nobody expected it to be removed afterwards.

Thanks David - looks like a bit of judicious hacking is required - Scalpel to the fore!!

Archived