What to do ?

JZ

Toying around with a few ideas at the moment. First thought is to use existing stock in order to keep the price down. So what do I have............

BR late steam and green diesels. 00.

This could mean a Southern, Western or Midland based layout. Thought about an MPD, but not very original, but could be incorperated into a later layout. Large goods shed, perhaps split level, this too could go into a layout later.

4 US diesels and a couple of steam locos plus some rolling stock. H0.

I always fancied doing a small rundown shortline terminus using s/hand stock. I also have a couple of building kits suitable.

German H0.

Not much scope here. I have a BR 112 and 4 coaches and an STV 137 in pre-war livery. So I think this is a non starter.

I do still have a few bits and pieces of 009 left, a couple of locos and a few wagons and coaches.

What else ?

4 French stainless steel coaches built from Kitmaster kits and a Swiss coach I picked up as part of a job-lot.

Other ideas.

I once drew up plans for a layout set in the Andes which would use a mix of US and continental stock. I could resurect this.

Another idea which only came to me this morning was to use the same stuff, but set in Saharan North Africa.

I'm already working on recycling stuff from previous layouts too, and am going to keep a very close eye on what money I spend to keep it as cheap as possible.

I'm going to have to obtain one of the new Bachmann 08's (my old Farish ones run like a box of spanners), so that's probably my biggest expenditure planned. I bought the new 150/2 a month or so back before the announcement of the competition so that doesn't really count as far as I'm concerned. Other stock will be taken from my existing collection of N (some of which hasn't run for 5 years so I may end up having to spend some money either resurrecting, or replacing, some of the locos I already have.

I am liking the idea you have above of making this competition layout able to be incorporated into something larger at some point in the future though.

Archived