Kadees for Heljan MK1s?

bagpipes331

Hi,

My eyesight and patience are not what they where......... Has anyone managed to fit Kadees to their Heljan MK1s? I will probably only install to the inside of the rake, and stick with the screw couplings at the outer ends to save converting my locos.

Any help/thoughts/sugestions gratefuly apreciated!!

Thanks, Rich

• 1 month later...

Hi Rich,

I have only just noticed your posting yesterday, but I can help. I have fitted my mark 1 with Kadee 805 which has a longer draft box. This is because I had some spare and also fitted the coach with Commonwealth bogies (Easybuild). This has affected the ride height by one millimetre, lifting it up. I had already fitted the kadee's and bogies at this point.

post-11695-0-71320700-1304597259_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the lower position of the coupling. When I fitted it the original was taken off by unscrewing the two screws for the coupling mount (be careful the buffer springs don't fly off). A slot is then cut into this piece of plastic to accept the kadee draft box. The top of this needs to be 25/32inch (19.81mm) from rail height. The kadee is mounted using one screw as it can't move from side to side.

post-11695-0-71615600-1304598008_thumb.jpg

The underside of the coach showing the draft box passing under the bogie frame. This is not a problem with the commonwealth as it has gap at the end. If you are still using the BR1 bogies then a piece needs cutting out or you need to get kadee no.806 which have short draft boxes.

post-11695-0-12609200-1304597866_thumb.jpg

Photo showing the mismatch in ride height.

I hope this helps

Vin

Many thanks Vin,

I will order the couplings and crack on!!

Depending on the success (Or otherwise!) I may look at converting my locos at some stage, but for now, just to couple the coaches without fiddling around under the corridor connectors will be marvelous.

Thanks again,

Rich.

Archived