HORNBY CLASS 50 WHEEL SET

i believe that the Hornby class 50 has incorrect size of wheels.

is there an easy way to fit the correct size, maybe from a class 31????

i see that Alan Gibson has the correct size of wheel, are they easy to fit and do the run ok on std OO guage code 75 track??

would be grateful for help on.

many thanks

Stephen Ward

The gibson wheels are easy to fit, as long as you have access to a suitable back to back gauge. Just pop the keeper plate off, and remove the original assemblies. Remove the stub axles from the central gear and replace with the Gibsons, setting them to the correct back to back. Clip the sideframes in place and replace the keeper plate.

They should run OK on code 75 OO, although I can't say for definite as mine are EM, but they run OK on Peco code 83 and C&L bullhead track.

You might want to file down the projection underneath to restore the ride height after changing the wheels, as they look a little odd otherwise.

HTH

many thanks for reply PUGSLEY

fraid do not have a back to back gauge - take needed in order to ensure the correct settings.

the gap between the bogie and the body is a tad too high might look to adjust that instead.

are there any Hornby wheels that would do the trick???

many thanks in advance

stephen

You could use the larger wheels from a Class 31 but the Gibson wheels are much better and will run on code 75 with no problems. I think the Gibson wheels are a much higher quality product and, I think, they'll have finer flanges than the Hornby wheels which would make lowering the loco less problematic.

Gibson can supply a finescale 00 back to back gauge too which will allow you to set the wheels correctly.

It's a worthwhile exercise, as this photo shows:

PA152254.jpg

Sir Eddie has the larger wheels, and Monarch has been lowered whilst also fitted with the larger wheels. Both from Gibson. One warning, it will restrict the curves the loco will go round if you fit the accurate wheels and lower it.

HTH

It's a worthwhile exercise, as this photo shows:

PA152254.jpg

Sir Eddie has the larger wheels, and Monarch has been lowered whilst also fitted with the larger wheels. Both from Gibson. One warning, it will restrict the curves the loco will go round if you fit the accurate wheels and lower it.

HTH

Martyn,

Excellent Photo.....the first I've seen that shows the difference the correct wheel size and lowering can a do for this model....and boy what a difference

Mark

• 7 months later...

Archived