"The Mall"

Sam '43003' Tanner

Ok, so inbetween racking my brain trying to work out the math's to get dimensions from the 2010sq. Inches ruling (if that makes sense..huh.gif ), I've got a bit of background for my idea.

The initial idea is to produce a layout with a "3 Turnout" plan like that of Ian Futers' Newcastle Haymarket and Percy Street layout's, aswell as Oldham King Street. Set in the present, this 2 platform terminus link's The Mall shopping center at Cribbs Causeway with South Wales and Bristol's Parkway and Temple Meads stations providing customers for the shopping center an alternative mode of transport. Services are from First Great Western and Arriva utilising Class 143, Class 150/2 and Class 153 units. A map showing the general area is attached below..

TheMallLayout.jpg

Service's are as follows:

Cardiff/Newport - The Mall & return (Arriva Class 150/2)

Bristol Temple Meads - The Mall via Clifton Down & return (fGW Class 143 & Class 150/2)

Shuttle service from Bristol Parkway (fGW Class 153)

A bus shuttle also works from the terminus to the shopping center itself, connecting with arrival of rail services.

I'm considering to use the layout as an attempt at EM or possibly P4, but for now thing's are on hold. I'll have a bit of time to decide, so I'll keep you posted.

I usually miss lot's of information with these initial postings, so if you have any questions/quieries, then please feel free to ask. smile.gif

Work's for me. wink.gif

Ok, The plan has been modified and decision's have been made.

The plan now incorporates an offset 3-way turnout and a left hand turnout..(Square = 6")

4mmTheMall.jpg

Total size so far is 108" x 16", but with this new found interpretation of the rules, some extra width may be incorporated. A decision has been to go with EM. The simple and honest reason is that I can source RTR EM trackwork from Marcway, saving time and sanity. Scenic break in the form of a Filton Airport building on the perimiter fence. No station building as such but being an modern terminus, Faller kit's will be used, such as the canopy..

thumb.jpg

..and the footbridge linking the shopping center with the terminus..

L120110.jpg

The decision has also been taken to give DCC a bash, but let's get things rolling first. laugh.gif

Alot to take in and I'm trying to get christmas done first. blink.gif Joy. Any questions or comments please feel free to leave something. smile.gif cool.gif

So am I Fred..!! biggrin.gif cool.gif

Right, taking into account my new found take on a certain ruling, I have final dimensions:

Scenic - 108" x 18" = 1944"sq.

Cassette - 22" x 3" = 66"sq.

Total 2010"sq.

It's pretty much a "standard" layout dimension wise, no odd shaped boards etc.. I'm glad for the extra width. Should help give a little depth to the layout.

And now a request: My mind's a bit shoddy. If anyone's down The Mall soon, can you grab me a couple of shot's of the ring road on the airfield perimeter please. I know what to have for a backdrop then. IIRC, it was row's of tree's on a slight "mound" for want of a better word.

TIA. smile.gif

Here's a closer look at the station site.

TheMall.jpg

Inside the red box is the station itself, with a convenient backdrop of tree's aswell as around the right hand end..! wink.gif biggrin.gif The green line is the track to the junctions and then various destinations, and the blue line is Filton Airfields perimeter fence. The fence will be modelled along the entire frontage, with a warehouse or something to cover the scenic break, as mentioned earlier. The Faller footbridge will commence on the platform and run into the backscene, through the tree's to assume that it continues direct to the shopping center. Having looked at the distance from the terminus to The Mall, a bus link would seem unlikely.

The white arrow show's the viewing side for the layout.

That's it for now. Any questions or comments, the usual T's & C's apply. smile.gif laugh.gif

Sorry to keep on with the questions, but I need to ask as many as I can because I don't have access often..

Seen on the left here under the canopy is a modern style waiting shelter..

thumb.jpg

Does this come with the kit or is it seperate or scratchbuilt..? Has anyone used the kit before who can shine some light on this..?

TIA.

Work's for me. wink.gif

Ok, The plan has been modified and decision's have been made.

The plan now incorporates an offset 3-way turnout and a right hand turnout..(Square = 6")

4mmTheMall.jpg

[/unquote]

One small "point", but make sure of the "Hand" of the turnout if you are buying - your diagram shows an offset 3 way and a LEFT hand turnout huh.gif

Archived