converting the bachmann 2mt 2-6-0

i am toying with the idea of converting a Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 into the BR standard version, has anybody else done so as i know the locos were very similar but i wouldnt loke to mess it up, any advice and or photos would be helpful.:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

This is an excerpt from Beatties "BR Standard Locomotives to Scale"

Beyond the familiar B.R. boiler fittings, the external points of recognition on the B.R. Class 2 Mogul vis-it-vis its L.M.S. counterpart were the presence of a transverse fillet beneath the smokebox connecting side and front running plates; a cab with raised guttering, smaller windows, canted upper side panels and straight-edged cutaways beneath the running plate level (as opposed to radiused front corners); and a tender - codified B.R.3 identical except for roller bearing axleboxes and minimal reprofiling of the cab structure to match that of the locomotive.

Usual disclaimers apply, Beattie should not be relied upon 100%, back up with a good photo ;)

I have a Hornby version bought very cheaply with the intention of doing the same conversion - made harder by the grossly overlength tender on the Hornby example.

Guest stuartp

I think Redgate has covered most of it. Either Craftsman or Crownline used to do a conversion kit for the Hornby version but to be honest it's not really worth the effort of finding it. Amongst some truly hilarious whitemetal parts (cast slidebars ? whoever thought that was a good idea !?) about the only useful bit was a rather nice set of etched cab sidesheets. It also came with a complete tender (either version) to replace the Hornby one, the tender was rather nice but it would be easier to alter the Bachmann one. There isn't much which can't be done with a razor saw and some styrene sheet, if I didn't have a half-built DJH one in the loft I would probably have done one by now.

Comet do BR Std steps and tender axleboxes (I think) and either they or Gibson do BR boiler fittings, clacks etc.

I think Redgate has covered most of it. Either Craftsman or Crownline used to do a conversion kit for the Hornby version but to be honest it's not really worth the effort of finding it.

It was Crownline. I've got two sets. One will be used to convert the Comet Ivatt kit here, but 'tis only the etched parts I'll be using. Dave King and Paul Hill tried to do a tender cab sheet which could be used for either the LMS or BR Std. version (basically you lopped off a triangular shard from each side to get the BR "slant"), but they got the rear window sizes wrong - too big for the BR Std. Same applies to the loco cab front - again, windows too big for the BR Std. version.

Amongst some truly hilarious whitemetal parts (cast slidebars ? whoever thought that was a good idea !?)

What about the whitemetal motor mount? :lol:

Comet do BR Std steps and tender axleboxes (I think) and either they or Gibson do BR boiler fittings, clacks etc.

Yes. Spoilt for choice in this area.

If it helps, I've got one on the go at the moment, though I've started on the easier side of things with the tender. The loco half is yet to commence, but I don't see it being much of an issue.

Yes, there is the risk of someone announcing an RTR model of one, but I think the fun of doing one long beforehand outweighs the waiting IMHO. I believe it's the art of modelling laugh.gif. *tongue firmly in cheek*

I shall be interested to see how you get on, if you decide to give it a whirl. Would be interesting to compare notes as we go.... :)

Cheers,

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I have a Hornby version bought very cheaply with the intention of doing the same conversion - made harder by the grossly overlength tender on the Hornby example.

I dealt with the Hornby tender by the simple expedient of cutting a piece out of the body behind the coal space (which seemed to be where most of the extra length was put). The new chassis - albeit not exactly correct - came courtesy of an Airfix kit, just the right length for the chopped body!

Archived