Length of trains?

br-nse-fan

Hey All

Am busy working on my layout plan (still!)... since I am not at home, and even if I was, all my stock is packed away...

I'm trying to figure out how long (in inches) the following are:

Hornby Cl 50 + 5 Bachmann MK2's

Bachmann 411

Bachmann 159

Many thanks in advance!

Derek

Hi,

As a rule I say that most locomotives are around a foot long. I measure stock lengths against a Mk3, which is roughly a foot long. I try and make a rule that 1ft for every coach length, but this can't always be done, and the stock your talking about is a little shorter than a foot, so you could get away with a little less.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Hello br-nse-fan.

Just had a quick look at mine and a

Hornby class 50 is 11 inches

Bachmann mk 2A being 10.5 inches long so if i do a quick Carol vorderman impression then a class 50 with 5 mk2A coaches is..................................63.5 inches long in total.

Not sure about the rest sorry.

64"... wow... that's a lot more space than I thought it would take up... might have to re-think my idea's... Hmmm...

How about a Brighton Terrier @ 4" and 5 Stroudley 4 wheelers @ 5" so that you get the whole train in less than 2' 6"?

Just a thought................

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget when measuring you need the length including the couplings (unless you are using three think/screw couplings) rather than lengths over buffers.

Don

Thanks for all the replies guys...

N Gauge is not an option as all my stock is in OO, and I have a pile of track and points. Changing gauge at this point is not an option.. however, I'd be lying to say the thought had not crossed my mind at some point!

I like terriers... really... I do... but my interest is firmly entrenched in the mid-late 80's... in my mind, nothing beats a 50 hauling a$$ with a rake of MK2's in NSE livery... ;)

You sound like your singing from the same hymn sheet as me with the 50 roaring by with a rake of ol' Mk2s! :D

As has already been said, I generally go by the rule that each coach is 1ft. I have had the same problem as you with planning a layout, wanting a big express but not having the room for a full rake. I've circumnavigated this problem to an extent by placing my layout in rural Devon/Cornwall, a la the old Ilfracombe branch, where an express from London would shed coaches when it got past Exeter/Plymouth, and you'd have a scenario in the 1960s where a Bulleid Pacific would be hauling 2-4 coaches having started out at Waterloo hauling over twice as many! I'm sure someone will tell me that this wasn't always prototypical, but it's a good enough excuse for me to have big express locos like my Class 50 (on that point, is yours 50048 'Dauntless'?), Merchant Navy, or the new Castle 4-6-0 I got the other day running on 2-3 coach trains.

Of course, I've also had to have my layout as a terminus, so there's no trains flying through at speed, but I also like the idea of things slowly moving away and departing - there's a certain romance about an epic express coming to the end of it's journey in a tiny seaside town in Cornwall, and vice versa.

Archived