GWR scratchbuilt models.

This thread is based mostly on rolling stock, with most of that in the form of motive power.

The subject of the thread certainly does not exist in its' original form, though I'm happy to say all loco's, coaches etc remain in the same collection.

Selmouth was started as a fixed layout some 30 years ago, the actual layout was completed some 15 years ago, after which it gathered dust, since the main interest was motive power. I think all the track straights were Peco, certainly all the pointwork was scratchbuilt using printed circuit board and bullhead rail. Most buildings were scratchbuilt with building papers etc, with the odd conversion of a proprietory model. All points were electrically operated, which is not unusual, though all were correctly tied in to the correct signalling.

Loco construction was in brass and nickel silver, motors varied as did wheels, early loco's having Hampblings, later ones Gibson.

One of the less common locos is shown below.

SmallDeGlehn.jpg

This is I think President, the De Glehn compound in later form with GWR boiler. I'll hopefully provide more details and pictures another time.

The next picture is a favourite as I saw one of these in storage in Totnes (?) circa 1967. A pannier version is on the Chinnor railway, pictures of both in due course.

STocf.jpg

The last picture is one I took of the layout before it was dis-assembled and taken away. One of my better circuit shots.

Tunnelsmall.jpg

This is an 'intermediate' station, though only this and the branch terminus actually existed.

More if of interest.

Peter

Guest dilbert

The photo of the De Glehn is rather nice, there is that continental style evident and outshopped in GW colours and an unusual 4-4-2 wheel arrangement... the three imports underwent the Churchward modifications and influenced the later designs that came out of Swindon... dilbert

Dilbert, the De Glehn is in my opinion the best of the lot model wise and an interesting model. I did a lot of research on these and found several good shots of originals in preservation, including a sectioned version. The first 'Star' was in fact built with an Atlantic as were several 'Saints', all i believe for comparison purposes. All were converted to 4-6-0 arrangement in due course!

A couple more pictures of the layout in this post with another loco. Apologies for the quality, all pictures were taken in a hurry due to inpending collection, which did not actually occur until a week later.

This is the main terminus.

Small79.jpg

Goods shed and station buildings at the rear, note the Airfix water tower to the right.

Next, 'the middle bit'. not quite at the level of the Ouse viaduct project, but not bad at all, a good centre point of the layout.

small82.jpg

And a last one. Most enthusiasts will be aware of Auto Coaches, most GWR enthusiasts will be aware of Rail Motors. This one used styrene construction with mainly brass for the mechanics. For enthusiasts for such things, this is but a sample.

Railm1.jpg

That is about it for the moment.

Peter

Guest dilbert

The first 'Star' was in fact built with an Atlantic as were several 'Saints', all i believe for comparison purposes. All were converted to 4-6-0 arrangement in due course!

Even the Great Bear ended up as 4-6-0 B) (about 20 years later). Churchward's work as GW CME in the first decade of the last century often seems to be underestimated, but he laid out the foundation of loco development that was best suited to the GW environment.

The Railmotor looks fabulous as well;;; dilbert

Still on the subject of Atlantics.

The 'County' tanks were quite short lived, despite being an effective engine for suburban services out of Paddington. Ride was nottoo good I have read. They were scrapped when the highly successful 6100 'Prarie' tanks were introduced.

Sharp eyed folk will note that in the rush, the front left roof clip was not located properly, hence the roof not fitting properly.

SmallAtlanticf-1.jpg

At least some had water pick-up gear was fitted. This would be shownby a pair of semi-circular fabrications on the tank tops.

All of these models have brass chimneys, some had turned copper caps, some caps were copper plated.

SmallAtlanticr-1.jpg

Peter

Archived