Which A4v locomotive

GreenDiesel001

Hi.

Although most of my locomotives are diesels and A4's were not regular visitors to Kings Lynn, non the less I would like to add one to my stable.

I used to watch them at Peterborough North station during the 1950's.

I note a model can be had for a reasonable price on Ebay.

However, I don't know which model is worth buying.

I would be reluctant to purchase a tender drive model but would listen to advice if one was worth buying.

I am buying it for sentimental reasons but would like it to run well.

Please, if you have an opinion would you comment.

Thanks and regards,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Yes, all Hornby Railroad are loco drive, although you will find the remnants of the old tender drive within the tender - they still use the old ringfield motor casting to hold the wheels etc in the frame, so it's a bit weighty for a tender :lol:

Jeff,

This one has been chewed over several times, and the concensus is clear: the current Hornby model is the clear winner for a plastic bodied RTR A4 in OO. This for the reason that Hornby have captured the loco shape way better than any previous version, and the tenders are also vastly improved over previous efforts; body detailing and paint finish to a high standard. The loco drive mechanism is much superior to the tender drive, although the loco chassis appearance is the weakest aspect.

The Biggest issue other than deciding on the Loco drive version. is finding a loco with the right tender and livery to change to the right one of your choice. Then there is always the single vs Double Chimney.

Which livery are you chasing? LNER, Silver,Blue, Green x 2 versions. BR late or early green, or experimental colours?

I don't want to start an argument but my Railroad A4 is not tender drive. It will run without the tender if you want to! It is the one reviewed by Model Rail two years ago; it has pickups on all driving wheels and six of the tender wheels and runs superbly.

I don't want to start an argument but my Railroad A4 is not tender drive. It will run without the tender if you want to! It is the one reviewed by Model Rail two years ago; it has pickups on all driving wheels and six of the tender wheels and runs superbly.

I don't believe that anyone said it was, only that it used the older tender-drive tender moulding and structure.

Adrian

Archived