Advice on a Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T

I wish to renumber a Hornby 2-6-4T (margate) spare body from 42363 to 42396.

So does anybody do runs of numbers/commission for cabside numbers that members can recommend?

I really don't like the idea of cutting letters out one by one.

Secondly does anybody do smokebox numbers for this class/to order?

I have read through previous threads about removal of decals.

If push comes to shove I will print my own cabside/smokebox numbers but can anybody say definitely which computer font to use for the numbers.(8in high??)

For the curious 42396 hauled the last passenger train on the lowgill -ingleton branch and was shedded at 11D Tebay Jan, 1954.

So can anybody recommend a source of shed codes?

Finally this engine has cabside windows and the Hornby model doesn't. Anybody know a source for this?

Many thanks for sharing expertise.

In the old days (1980?) when Hornby first released the Fowler 2-6-4T you could buy brass overlays for the version with cab windows. The fret also had a selection of numbers as well. I think it came from Perseverence/Kemp Models.

There may have been another version to cover another type of cab opening if I remember correctly.

Someone may have one in their spares drawer unused.

Rod Neep's etched brass overlays are quite neat even if they don't quite match the current Hornby model. They represent the later small cabside cut out and rivets. Shame Hornby hasn't thought fit to develop its 2-6-4T further with rivets and side window cab.

Mornin'

I did this to one years ago using a Crownline conversion kit. Maybe this is still available via Dave King?

I think 42396 one of the last 30 so modified by Stanier and some, maybe all, also utilised his bevelled wheels too.

Steve

Archived