frog tape

Guest jim s-w

Saw it advertised on telly the other night Jim, and funnily enough, I wondered the same as you.

Not sure how 'low tack' it is and therefore how suitable it would be for modelling, I don't know.

Maybe one of us should take the plunge and report back on this thread?

cheers

Andy

Yes, but it does not really suit models, as it works only with water based paint, and is more suited to domestic decoration masking than fine models.

It contains a water sensitive material that expands at the edge, stopping bleeding, but the edge is still a touch too rough for fine work. It does not respond to enamel thinners or cellulose thinners.

Basically it does what it claims fine, but nowhere like, say, Tamiya model tape.

Stephen.

Been there done that. Works pretty good with acrylic paints. Not so great with enamels. Fantastic for house painting. Had MiL send some before it was available in the UK. Sadly the sharpness of the edge isn't good enough for 4mm models. Best off sticking (excuse the pun) to Tamiya tape.

I should add that it does not rate as low tack in terms we use for model tape, it has a stronger "sticky" bond suited to decorators needs.

It will soften prior to removal by applying heat, but may leave slight traces of adhesive which need removal with solvent. Again this would not suit models, but fine for domestic painting, where it is a premium product.

I don't think pre-wetting surfaces would be practical, it needs the paint applied evenly to start the sealing action once applied, although you could apply dry, and then wipe over with water to get the sealing to operate. At this point you could then apply any paint.

I am using it for home decorating at the moment, but would not trust it for fine model work.

Stephen.

Archived