Scalefour North

craigwelsh

Good day today and more tips gleaned from visitors and other demonstrators, lots of clever people in the pub here too :). Hope to meet some more rmwebbers tomorrow.

Dewsbury guys need to keep an eye on their lighting gantry tomorrow as everyone wants to take it home!

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos to show what you're missing

Probably the two best layouts there, they were all good, Burntisland 'complete' really is spectacular and Horselunges must be one of the most beautiful little layouts I have ever seen.

Also got some of Craig's wonderful etches cool.gif

Good luck with your 400 wagons Penrhos!

Just back from my annual pilgrimage to Scalefour North which is one of my favourite shows on the exhibition calendar. It was as friendly and relaxed as ever and I even got the chance to have a play on Longcarse West under the excellent tutorledge of Lee Davies. Longcarse West, Dewsbury and Burntisland were all excellent and Royston Vasey got me thinking of some ideas for a tabletop 'scenic' test track. I managed to pick up the last wagon requred for my coal rake from Parkside, re-stocked on Ambis coupling bits and got the bits I require to tackle a 25/3 a la JSW.

Cheers

ChrisM

Longcarse West of course needs no further comment.

Hmmm, is that good or bad?

Longcarse West had a good weekend. Lots of positive compliments and not too many grumbles about there being diesels at an S4 event. A few to many derailments on Saturday but much better on Sunday. Sadly no new stock was ready but hopefully some will be available for Expo EM in a few weeks time.

Cheers

David

I've just finished watching the F1 race on catchup following my enjoyable weekend at the show.

Its the first time i've spent a full show officially demonstrating and its quite demanding I found compared to operating a layout where you can usually have an hour on/off scenario. 'Lunch' at 3:30 was an interesting one on the Saturday :lol: . Some great comments though from visitors to the stand and nice to see my etches built into finished models by such esteemed individuals as Don Rowlands who came to show the LMS version of a shunters truck converted from a mineral wagon.

I also picked up a lot of tips from Steve as well as John and Greg from the Steamline Sheffield team. Superb chassis for a Bachmann/Bradwell 9F and a Finney 28xx gave me some ideas for completing mine for example.

Layouts an show also catered for everyone I believe with a good variety of types, periods and possibilities to inspire everyone.

Good to meet Penrhos for the first time as well as a few others from rmweb and other situations.

I came away with some new parts from High Level to try out the new slim line bearings with the new CSB jig as well as a tender drive unit following a demonstration of the prototype by Steve in the demo area.

Thanks to the Scalefour North team for the invite and well done on another great show :) .

I also picked up a lot of tips from Steve as well as John and Greg from the Steamline Sheffield team. Superb chassis for a Bachmann/Bradwell 9F and a Finney 28xx gave me some ideas for completing mine for example.

Oh dear! I missed the 28xx chassis and, considering I had to make an emergency dash to a cash machine to finance the purchase of two Finney kits from the bring and buy stand, seeing that might have proved very useful. Is their 28xx compensated or sprung?

Nice to see your work too Craig. I've got the underframe etches and a bunch of Parkside RCH minerals so I'd better roll my sleeves up and get stuck in (my WTTs quote up to a 100 empties behind a '28' so a lifetime's work - for me, anyway!)

Tony

Hmmm, is that good or bad?

Longcarse West had a good weekend. Lots of positive compliments and not too many grumbles about there being diesels at an S4 event. A few to many derailments on Saturday but much better on Sunday. Sadly no new stock was ready but hopefully some will be available for Expo EM in a few weeks time.

Cheers

David

Good !! Its just i think all the superlatives have already been used David.

Oh dear! I missed the 28xx chassis and, considering I had to make an emergency dash to a cash machine to finance the purchase of two Finney kits from the bring and buy stand, seeing that might have proved very useful. Is their 28xx compensated or sprung?

Nice to see your work too Craig. I've got the underframe etches and a bunch of Parkside RCH minerals so I'd better roll my sleeves up and get stuck in (my WTTs quote up to a 100 empties behind a '28' so a lifetime's work - for me, anyway!)

Tony

It was built with the compensation beams as designed and also the full working inside valve gear. I was asking Greg about that gear as well as checking if I could fit a tenderiser kit from High Level into it as they couldn't get a decent sized motor into the loco.

Indeed my line should really have a 100 empties but i'd have no room for the train. A big motor in the tender should at least produce a loco capable of it though!

I'd missed the bring and buy really due to being on my demo stand which is probably a blessing really as I can't afford any more spending!

It was built with the compensation beams as designed and also the full working inside valve gear. I was asking Greg about that gear as well as checking if I could fit a tenderiser kit from High Level into it as they couldn't get a decent sized motor into the loco.

Indeed my line should really have a 100 empties but i'd have no room for the train. A big motor in the tender should at least produce a loco capable of it though!

I'd missed the bring and buy really due to being on my demo stand which is probably a blessing really as I can't afford any more spending!

I really should have had a look at this as I managed to pick up the inside motion kits too but I spent so much time sitting in front of Greg and John last year I thought it best to give others the chance this time around!

BTW I didn't see the Finney kits on my first pass of the bring and buy and only saw them later when things had quietened down a bit - obviously not too much demand for models of proper engines up north (or, more likely, people have taken the sensible option and purchased the Hornby model instead!) The first part of my thread on constructing one of these will appear circa 2015 by which time I *may* have enough mineral wagons to make up a sensible train..

Archived