Video from the annual DMJU exhibition in Denmark

Jens Vesterdahl

Hi all.

In the weekend of April 2nd and 3rd, 2011, the DMJU (Danish Model Railroad Union - the umbrella organization for the MR clubs) held their annual exhibition.

As a member of the organization, my club of course attented the exhibition which was a great success - not least due to excellent PR in the local newspapers.

Sunday the event turned into a battle of long trains between my club (gauge 1) and the gauge N module club across the aisle. It all began on announcement on the arena PA that the N club was running a train with 40 freight cars and then shortly thereafter 41 cars. Of course we could not ignore such a challenge and dug out freight cars for a train of 43 cars = 102 axles behind a BR41.

Kudos to the BR41 that pulled the very long train and to my BR50 that really suffered that afternoon. The train was too heavy to move by hand blink.gif

A standing start was not possible, so I had to push back so the spring buffers in the train were squeezed together and then use the slack to get the BR50 running while the train was stretching ...

Eventually the decoder shut down the smoke unit and later the sound went really bad, so we split up the long train and let the engine cool down. After a while both smoke and the good sound returned ...

When the speaker announced our train, the N club made a train of 56 cars behind one locomotive and with that they won the friendly contest. We had no more cars at hand and besides, the train was too heavy to move by hand !!!

We all had great fun and the crowd loved it. Next time we agreed to use more than one locomotive, but I bet they win. I know they have been running a train with 260 axles behind four locomotives ... which kind of sets the bar.

A friendship has evolved between my club and the Model Tractor Club where they run R/C tractors, lorries and farming equipment.

As you can see in the video, some of the members of the Model Tractor Club has brought some their standard modules along with an interconnect module to my club's module layout. This brings even more life to the layout and the crowd loves this too - even at a MR exhibition. There are various loose ideas floating around to build a grain elevator and loading facilities for trains to and from. At the exhibition, an idea turned into a plan to add an overpass bridge from the grain facility across the main tracks to the station area so the RC models can go there and make even more action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJRybKfesI

Best regards

Jens

Archived