Was there a model of the Royal Albert Bridge at Pendon?

I have a hazy memory that back in the 1960's, before Pendon moved into the current building, the late Roye England used to do a presentation of future plans for Pendon. As part of the presentation the modelsa that had been constructed for the Vale scene were shown, as well as a model of the Royal Albert bridge at Saltash. Was there such a model? If there was, does anyone know what happened to it? If I'm completely mistaken please say, as I wouldn't want to perpetuate an error.

Alex

I don't know about the Royal Albert, but there was a wooden bridge by Brunel that was modelled there. This is from the Pendon website.

In 1955 he purchased an ex-RAF hut for use as the first Museum building and transferred the models to it. Guy Williams brought his model of the Brunel timber viaduct at Walkham to Pendon where it became the focal point of the Dartmoor Scene. This was intended to be a temporary display whilst plans were made for the Vale Scene. However, it has remained in the Museum as a popular and, indeed, iconic part of Pendon.

I don't know about the Royal Albert, but there was a wooden bridge by Brunel that was modelled there. This is from the Pendon website.

In 1955 he purchased an ex-RAF hut for use as the first Museum building and transferred the models to it. Guy Williams brought his model of the Brunel timber viaduct at Walkham to Pendon where it became the focal point of the Dartmoor Scene. This was intended to be a temporary display whilst plans were made for the Vale Scene. However, it has remained in the Museum as a popular and, indeed, iconic part of Pendon.

Hi,

The Wooden Brunel Bridge is still there!

I don't think that there has ever been a model of the Royal Albert bridge at Penden, but I would like to be proved wrong!

Hope this helps!

Simon

Well one thing is for certain... This thread has just given me a 'wow' moment, as I remember visiting there when I was a lot younger but I just realised that it was twenty-two years ago!

There certainly was a model of the Saltash Bridge at Pendon - at one time it was living in it's own showcase on the opposite side of the viewing gallery for the 'Dartmoor' scene - but it was low down. I don't know if it is still there - I suspect it is!

The 'other' bridge mentioned above is the model of the Walkham viaduct on the Dartmoor scene. IIRC the prototype was the last example of a Brunellian wooden viaduct to be re-built.

I also take the point about memories & age... My first visit to Pendon was in May 1970. On return home I broke up my model of 'Swanage' & re-built it. Then I visited Pendon again - and scrapped it again!

Regs

Ian

• RMweb Gold

There was definately no model of Saltash when I visited in 62 to 64. Roye used to do the talks while trains were run onto the viaduct and also he would show models of the cottages. I do not remember Roye talking about Saltash his plans were all about doing a Vale scene. So the Saltash Bridge stuff must have been after that.

Don

I don't recall ever seeng, or hearing about, a model of the Royal Albert at Pendon although I have admired Walkham every time I have visited.

Some one would have confirmed seeing it there if it had existed as the Royal Albert Bridge is about double the size (both horizontally and vertically) of Walkham Viaduct.

Having said this there is the possibility that such a model may have made a guest visit at some time.

• RMweb Gold

I remember a description of the building of model of the bridge out of card in Railway Modeller - probably late seventies? From recollection it was for a home layout and the photo showed that the finished model was capable of bearing the load of a Wrenn castle. I wonder what became of it?

Thaks for all the replies. The consensus seems to be that , if there was a model, it wasn't an "official" Pendon one and it appeared in the late 60's early 70's. Having said that Scanman's recollection rather accords with my own - I'm just not sure if I can trust my memory on this; I'll keep a lookout for it next time I visit.

Alex

• 7 years later...

There is/was a model of Saltash Bridge at Pendon. It was never finished. I was shown it when visiting in a small group on a private showing. Apparently it was stored for many years under the madder valley. At the time of our visit (2005) it was in the meeting room. There was hopes of it being completed. It would make a fine exhibit.

Archived