lay and cut?

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Traditionally we lay rail across baseboard joints and then cut it. I am pondering if this is actually the best way and think it might be better to lay rail up to the baseboard joint and like up by eye, Any thoughts people?

Cheers

Jim

I've done both, but prefer the latter (lay rail up to the baseboard joint and line up) method now. It enables a close rail joint, which can be filed back to taste later if required, for temperature expansion purposes. When laying the adjoining section, I use a weight laying across the top of the joint to ensure height alignment while the glue dries.

I've used both depending on situation.

If its on a curve flowing through the boards then lay, reinforce and then cut with a saw. Part and clean up as needed to give a decent rail end and the required gap.

If there is a point at the end of the board I would be using separate pieces anyway and probably use the same idea if it was straight 69ft panels or similar.

Either method works ok for me though.

I've used both methods in OO/HO, generally using the lay and cut method when I've been building a layout from scratch and the line up method when extending a layout with an additional board. Provided the board alignment is good and repeatable (using dowels or such devices) then both have worked for me.

I use both, but when I 'align by eye' I use a hardwood block, carefully machined to a push fit with the plastic sleepers in place, between the rails over the board join to help alignment when I solder the rails to the copper clad sleepers at the board joins. Then afterwards file a slight chamfer on the inside of the rails to about 2/3 of the rail width at the ends.

I'm definitely in the Lay and Cut camp for P4. I've tried the Cut and Lay but had disastrous results. Another important consideration is to restrict your rail lengths to 500mm, unless your layout is permanently in a temperature controlled environment.

Alignment dowels ensure that the baseboard ends always match when assembling the layout but do not prevent movement of the top plank of baseboard wood, the track bed.

Thats why I always use all plywood construction, I used to make baseboards out of marine ply, but the good quality stuff about today from good wood merchants ( definitely NOT B&Q and the like) means it doesn't need to be marine. 'Movement' is near non existant.

I prefer lay and cut but that can leave a gap the thickness of the cutting blade. As such, I always clamp a piece of wood or similar the thickness of the blade between the boards when laying and then cut so that afterwards there is no gap at the board joints, or at least it is minimal wink.gif

Regards

Graham

Archived