Modelling Gravel Carparks

Just wondering if anyone has got some tips on how to model gravel carparks. (the ones that only really have the hardcore laid)

I assume paint the board grey and get some grey gravel and sprinkle it on. My only concern is that it will look to much like the ballast as it going to be right by the track.

Guest stuartp

It will be better consolidated than ballast (even if it is ballast) through being driven over, and with a lot more dust and muck in it. I thought of small ballast and sand tamped into Das modelling clay or nearly dry polyfilla but I still haven't found a system I really like. Sand sprinkled on wet glue then sprayed with grey primer doesn't look bad, i've used that for gravel platforms before.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I use various grades of sandpaper/glasspaper to represent gravel car parks etc.

Don't worry about the colour it comes in - look for the right texture/grain size.

Paint it any mix of coloours that are appropriate to your location or material used.

Thanks

Hi,

Having laid gravel road in HO on our 20's German layout I do not consider sand as a suitable candidate for any scale below 1:43, its inconsistency of size and shape precludes it from serious use.

Abrasive papers should be consistent but the colours are often wrong, depending on the source. We finally began to use a mixture of ground white pepper (for bulk) and a blend of white and ochre powder paints (for colour) on a very carefully laid surface of slightly diluted PVA on good quality card.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide an image of the result as we sold German layout in 2008 but there are a few online images floating around of Pottendorf.

The pepper and powder paint mix gives the right grade of pea-gravel rather than the shingle-sized lumps which sand produces in 4mm. Please remember that Chris Nevard uses sand for 4mm ballast and who would use ballast for car parks?

Tim

Archived