Class 20 cab windows

Hello there guys!

Its me asking questions again. I am currently converting a Bachmann 20 into the DRS coppers, using etched brass. I currently have the Shawplan front cab window frames (need to put them on) and the PH Designs Class 20/3 external fuel tank kit (which also includes the lamp irons, cab ariel mount and side cab window frames). One thing I was told whilst at the Shawplan stall at the MMRS exhibition in october, was that some manufacturers etched brass window frames are too big. I have found that out with the PH Designs window frames. The brass is very good quality, and well etched, but is too big, and the window finishes, then a bit of bodyside, then the window frame.

I know it was going to happen, but does anyone have this problem too? I think I need to order the Shawplan ones (need to look them up in the magazine for the code). Are the shawplan ones the right size?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Jack

Guest stuartp

Class 20s have had at least three sizes of cab side windows over the years; the original shallow round-cornered ones fitted to most of the batch, the deeper round-cornered ones fitted to the original ScR batch and the square-cornered ones fitted to (some of ?) the refurbished ones. To me the refurbished ones look deeper than the original ones, so the P-H ones might well be correct. If your base model represents the shallower type you might have to do some filing !

• RMweb Gold

Ahhh.... right. So different Class 20s have different sized windows..... I can't seem to get into the cab of my 20 atm, which means If I pop the window it, I can't retrieve it. Are the shawplan ones smaller? Anyone?

The shawplan ones are definitely the right size (and are slightly finer in detail as well.) Measured directly off the loco back at the DRS open day.

File a bigger hole in the plastic to suit the bigger etched frames?

My vote! just done one in 7mm scale, but this size should be easy to file out to an exact match to the Shawplan etches, it is the right way round , rather than too small. Never trust commercial models to be that accurate that other makes of accessories will fit that easily, and just drop into place.

Stephen.

The shawplan ones are definitely the right size (and are slightly finer in detail as well.) Measured directly off the loco back at the DRS open day.

Cheers Richard! Thats what I wanted to know. If they fit, then im happy. Perfect information!

Thanks very much for your help guys! Just need to find some money, and then order the blasted things.

Cheers

Jack

Cheers Richard! Thats what I wanted to know. If they fit, then im happy. Perfect information!

Thanks very much for your help guys! Just need to find some money, and then order the blasted things.

Cheers

Jack

Jack,

Shawplan also do an inexpensive window filing jig that includes an aperture gauge on the same etch.

The number for the jig is EEDP20-11J.

These are used in conjunction with windows EEDP20-11

Pete Degnan

post-739-12585904242273_thumb.jpg

post-739-12585904593083_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Pete! Much appreciated! So the shawplan ones are the right size, and if you use the fitting jig, then you get a more accurate fitting of the frame? Very good. Cheers,

Jack

Exactly, the jig is a simple fold-up and hooks under the cab bottom and side to places the window cut out in the correct position. The gauge helps you to get a correct shaped aperture.

There will be supplies on the stand at Warley Saturday ;)

Pete

Guest jim s-w

Class 20s have had at least three sizes of cab side windows over the years; the original shallow round-cornered ones fitted to most of the batch, the deeper round-cornered ones fitted to the original ScR batch and the square-cornered ones fitted to (some of ?) the refurbished ones. To me the refurbished ones look deeper than the original ones, so the P-H ones might well be correct. If your base model represents the shallower type you might have to do some filing !

ISTR that not all of the tanks are the same either. I am pretty sure the DRS tanks dont match the original long range tanks class 20's had.

Cheers

Jim

Archived