Hornby New Website - Wednesday 13.04.11

jonathan452

Just to add my pennyworth - look very carefully at the prices. Some of the RRPs - which went up in January - have gone up again. I'm looking specifically at the railroad "Falcon" model which has now gone up beyond £70, which this time last year, was the price of its DCC fitted companion, "Mallard".

There's other price rises which vary hugely in terms of how much they have added on to the previous RRP.

Quite frankly, on looking at the "new" website, I wonder if it is to some extent timed to cover some of these RRP rises.

I notice there is also a rather unconvincing item here - when was "The Last Single Wheeler" ever priced at £175, RRP? The item claims it started at £175, but has now been "reduced" to £99.

My recollection was that this set was originally released at an RRP of £145. Perhaps someone with last year's catalogue could enlighten us as to the original RRP?

Overall the rather sly price rises on certain items have not impressed me at all.

The prices of the Tornado's interesting. The Railroad one is £76.99, the more detailed Special Edition is £92.99 (which is quite a good price before P&P) and then the Tornado Express Pack is quite steep for a loco and 3 carriages at £163.99. There isn't much of a price difference between the Special Edition and the Railroad ones. I may get the Special Edition as that's not a bad price.

Archived