Hornby New Website - Wednesday 13.04.11

jonathan452

From the Hornby April 2011 Releases Thread.

Just had this email from Hornby regarding their website:

Hi James

We are very excited to announce that we are re-launching the www.Hornby.com website on Wednesday 13th April.

When you first visit the new site you will find that your password has been changed - you will be able to log in to the site using your email address and your new password.

Your new password is ********

Once you have logged in to the new site you will have the opportunity of changing your password in "My Account".

We look forward to welcoming you to the new Hornby site.

Kind regards,

www.Hornby.com

Just had a quick look. I'm not entirely convinced that it is 'fully functioning'??????

If someone rather more computer savy could advise please.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The parts i've looked at work ok for me.

Although for me the changes to the site are about as exciting as the the last time I stubbed my toe.....;)

Have some prices changed from those previously announced - or is just an impression I have got from a quick look without detailed comparisons? I have an inkling the new BR Standard 20T brakevan was originally over £20 RRP??

• RMweb Gold

The parts i've looked at work ok for me.

Although for me the changes to the site are about as exciting as the the last time I stubbed my toe.....;)

If your interests stretch to watching paint drying,then this is for you.A dismal shop window and 'new releases'----blank.

• RMweb Gold

If your interests stretch to watching paint drying,then this is for you.A dismal shop window and 'new releases'----blank.

Well Hornby are excited about it.....I guess a party atmosphere in their offices today then lol :D

It does seem to be working but the pages are loading very slowly. Perhaps everyone is testing it out at the same time? Not really inspired by what I’ve looked at so far but then take a look at Heljan’s ‘products to come’ page, it hasn’t been updated for over two years. Given all the new stuff they’ve got coming out, you’d think they’d want to put it in their main ‘shop window’ wouldn’t you? At least Hornby do that.

• RMweb Premium

I find it is loading very slowly. There are many reasons why pages may load slowly and most would be entirely outside Hornby's control. Compared with other pages loading from broadly comparable sites at the moment it is pedestrian. For dial-up users it might appear to not load fully at all. However the detail all seems to be there.

My opinion is "competent but unexciting" and if there is anything Hornby can do to improve page service speeds they should address that.

The parts i've looked at work ok for me..................

I would presume there will still issues with the uploading of the site at the time I first posted this morning (which presumably the Hornby IT folks were trying to resolve).

It does look like a website now albeit rather slow as others have pointed out.

• RMweb Gold

All I get on http://www.Hornby.com/ is: "Hornby The Hornby site is currently undergoing a facelift and is due to relaunch on Wednesday 13th April. Please check back soon." :unsure: :huh:

I find considerably more than that. What is disappointing - apart from the fact that the New Releases page has yet to be populated - is that going into e.g. coaches simply provides pages and pages of unsorted items, 197 in all. There is no facility to search for e.g. LNER or Virgin, merely for the order of presentation, by cheapest or by most expensive, or by product number - or alphabetically. I wonder on which page S starts? How many punters will be patient enough to scroll through dozens of pages in the hope of finding what they want? Put together by a site designer who has no idea about the product or its market.

There is no facility to search for e.g. LNER or Virgin, merely for the order of presentation, by cheapest or by most expensive, or by product number - or alphabetically.

The search function is there. It does not appear until you select the "shop" page. I searched for GWR.

Once a search is performed there is then a "sort" button (by part number, alphabetically, price).

I still don't see the point of this new website. OK, it's different and that doesn't mean it is bad but there's nothing about this that says to me "wow, this is nice". It's pedestrian and missing the graphical impact of the old site.

Plus I'm irritated by them erasing all the user passwords. I no longer use the email address that I originally used to join the site, so have not been able to see the email advising me of my new password. Of course that's more my problem more than theirs.

Have some prices changed from those previously announced - or is just an impression I have got from a quick look without detailed comparisons? I have an inkling the new BR Standard 20T brakevan was originally over £20 RRP??

I don't think i'll be jumping for joy at £17.75 though when a Bachmann one is £8 tops.. It'll need realistic working fire and fibre optic laps that are DCC controlled to have me wanting to buy one over the Bachmann example!

http://www.redant.com/ There guys designed it and they 'get' b2b and social media which is why its crap for anything useful..

Working here - still slow. Coppercap perhaps try the link again but hit "refresh" as your browser might have a cached version of that page loaded.

Thanks! I get a website now.............

better change my name to "computer numpty" :lol:

Big chance to improve it missed by miles by Hornby. Why they cannot make a straight forward listing of their products available like of a pdf price list instead of having to trawl through page after page. No dcc instruction leaflets - still waiting for the "extra information" that the Sapphire decoder packaging claims is available.

Guest Belgian

I thought we weren't allowed to criticise on RMweb. This is the very finest website I've ever visited, just as were Hornby's previous ones. B)

JE

I thought we weren't allowed to criticise on RMweb.

Just as a reminder to everyone with regard to RMweb's rule on criticism, it states:

2. Please do not post unsubstantiated or inaccurate criticism of any individual or organisation. Any criticism should be presented in the same manner as would be appropriate for a face to face conversation.

RMweb's full rules and guidance can be found here, it never does any of us any harm to become reacquainted with them from time to time.

The new site seems to be working fine for me, perhaps theyve addressed the issues? my only gripe so far upno having a browse is the service sheets have been put into seperate pages instead of one long continuous list .. the new releases this month looks to be quiet although seems theyve yet to upload April and Mays releases

NL

Big chance to improve it missed by miles by Hornby. Why they cannot make a straight forward listing of their products available like of a pdf price list instead of having to trawl through page after page. No dcc instruction leaflets - still waiting for the "extra information" that the Sapphire decoder packaging claims is available.

Manuals are under Downloads.

Not sure what all the criticism is about (but yesterday was painfully slow, and club membership accounts are no longer present) - what more can you expect from an online shop?

also no forums yet which is why im seeking refuge here!

Just to add my pennyworth - look very carefully at the prices. Some of the RRPs - which went up in January - have gone up again. I'm looking specifically at the railroad "Falcon" model which has now gone up beyond £70, which this time last year, was the price of its DCC fitted companion, "Mallard".

There's other price rises which vary hugely in terms of how much they have added on to the previous RRP.

Quite frankly, on looking at the "new" website, I wonder if it is to some extent timed to cover some of these RRP rises.

I notice there is also a rather unconvincing item here - when was "The Last Single Wheeler" ever priced at £175, RRP? The item claims it started at £175, but has now been "reduced" to £99.

My recollection was that this set was originally released at an RRP of £145. Perhaps someone with last year's catalogue could enlighten us as to the original RRP?

Overall the rather sly price rises on certain items have not impressed me at all.

I was a regular visitor to the various forums, purely for the entertainment value. There are some very helpful people, lots of young kids with wonderful spelling and grammar, a refugee from other sites - Son-of-something - pretending to be someone else, a variety of naughty words which aren't allowed (Bachmann, Peco, Heljan etc), and a general love affair with Hornby points, which are, apparently, the secret of smooth and reliable running:)

Forums aren't back up yet, but when they are, worth taking a look.

JD

Archived