Downton Station Blog

Zumo2567

Hello,

I am very impressed with your layout of Downton Staion. Coincidentally I am doing the same thing but I am not nearly so far advanced as you simply because I do not have the space as yet. Can I ask you where you got the station building from? I have several photos of Downton Station which I could forward to you if they are of any use. Unfortunately I did not see the real thing as I did not move into the village until after Beeching had done his worst! Good luck with your project. BW

post-13161-0-67179500-1316521257_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates recently but I've been busy with work and volunteering.

Jam and bryanwoods I'm sorry that i didn't reply to your posts but every since the new forum update i don't seem to receive notifications if someone replied to a thread I'm subscribed to. I hope you wont take it as rude of me.

In answer to your question bryanwoods it's a Hornby Skaledale waiting room R8530 with the roof and doors painted green to make it more southern region.

If you could forward me the photos of downton that would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately I also didn't see the station as i wasn't even born before beeching got to it and i only moved into the area as well recently.

In the last week though i've found my self with time for the layout and i'm moving forward along with some recent purchases.

First up to be installed was a wall in the field next to the station as shown below.

The field is also going to have some static grass applied to it as currently it's to flat in my opinion. I did buy some static grass but stupidly forgot to order a puffer bottle as well. A trip to town later is needed to see if Salisbury Model Centre have one.

In the time I've left the layout though the flowers i planted have really grown up quite well ;) along with some ivy on the side of the telephone box. :)

And the grass also seems to be infiltrating it's self by the buffer stop.

Recently purchased was also the Devon Belle Observation car.

I've always liked the look of it and I know it would have never run along the line but when hattons had it for £32 I couldn't help but buy it.

That's all there is for the time being. Next on my list is to get the car park out the front of the station sorted as it been untouched for far to long.

Handscombmp

Hello Handscombmp. Thanks for your reply. I fear that the Hornby Skaledale Waiting Room is no longer available, although the R8001 Waiting Room could be an alternative if I could find a suitable canopy. I'll keep looking! I haven't made much progress with my Downton Station but yours seems to be coming along nicely. As far as pictures are concerned, I will attach a few but I would certainly recommend a couple of books: The Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway by Nigel Bray has a very detailed account of the whole line (Salisbury to West Moors) with lots of photographs. Also if you can find a copy of The Southern Way Issue No.16 (latest) which has a section on Downton Station written by Julia Whitmarsh who was the daughter of Harry Hepper the de facto Station Master and includes many photographs (and the source of many of mine). Hope this helps. Kind regards.

post-13161-0-42834100-1319198853_thumb.jpg

post-13161-0-85202300-1319198899_thumb.jpg

post-13161-0-33556800-1319198971_thumb.jpg

post-13161-0-35352200-1319199054_thumb.jpg

post-13161-0-16150200-1319199064.jpg

post-13161-0-11136600-1319199089_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bryanwood,

Had seen some of the photo's before but not the top two. Was good to see the back of the station and colour photos are always nice! :)

I've already got Nigel Bray's book but i'll keep a look out for the latest Southern Way. :)

I brought the Hornby R8530 off ebay as Hornby weren't making it. Can't rememberer the price though. :(

Archived