Erratic running of Hornby Jinty

mobi323

I purchased a Hornby Digital Mixed Goods set about 12 months ago. It seems to me that Hornby just gets rid of all their problem stuff inthese sets.

The Curved Station is just about useless. I have no idea what the track mat is supposed to do.

But my main beef is about the engines. I broke the Class 08 Diesel Electric engine in frustration while trying to get it to run.

I still have the Jinty and it is a very poor performer. I makes its own problems. It has a different problem every circuit. I have no idea how you would ever be able to use it as a shunter. The only time it goes reasonably well is when is nearly full speed. Most times the only way to get it to move off is to give it a lot of power. Then of course it runs flat out into the rake of wagons you are trying to hook onto to shunt. Don't say that the track needs cleaning. It is so clean that you could eat off it. And all other engines don't have the same problems on the same track.

I am getting so frustrated with the bl**dy thing that I feel that it will wind up as a static display on my layout.

Has anybody else had problems with the Hornby Jinty engine?

Did you consider approaching the retailer that supplied this equipment, when you found it was of inferior quality? Incidentally, I don't see how the curved station can be considered useless, it's a station to be used on a trainset curve, doesn't sound to me to be too much to debate there.

With respect, and 12 months after the event, this comes across on first reading as a balls-out, notpausingforbreath, RANT. Less charitable readers might query exactly to what you subjected the Class 08 Diesel electric engine, that caused it to break... :blink:

Did you consider approaching the retailer that supplied this equipment, when you found it was of inferior quality? Incidentally, I don't see how the curved station can be considered useless, it's a station to be used on a trainset curve, doesn't sound to me to be too much to debate there.

With respect, and 12 months after the event, this comes across on first reading as a balls-out, notpausingforbreath, RANT. Less charitable readers might query exactly to what you subjected the Class 08 Diesel electric engine, that caused it to break... :blink:

Der!!

It is a first radius curve. It has to be about 3/4" away from the track. It looks as real as a $3.00 bill. And it is a rant. And since Reagan, Thatcher and Bush are no longer in power I am still able to rant if I want to. You are also free not to read my rants if you don't want to.

And thank you for your help.

Why is it that I always get the feeling that some people on this web forum think they know everything??

Why thank you kind sir.

Now where's the door back out of this parallel universe I find myself in?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink:

EDIT: Yes, after reading that illuminating last piece, apologies for coming across like I might actually know something....

Der!!

... And it is a rant.

....You are also free not to read my rants if you don't want to.

Why is it that I always get the feeling that some people on this web forum think they know everything??

Have to say I find this disrespectful....

Also, since it's a rant, I won't waste more of the time I have already wasted in reading it by actually offering any answers or feedback on what I thought were genuine questions...

And although they don't know everything, I have always found members who seem know the answer to the questions being asked - maybe the key is knowing how to ask...?

Pay no heed Stewart, it felt like I was being dissed by a big friendly family dog, all wagging tail, froth and splother B)

Sure I read on another thread those service sheets are available on line via the Hornby website.

It's referred to as irony, old chum.

As has been said, your initial tone was (possibly deliberately) pitched at such a level that you would either be ignored or flamed. I did neither; I asked a couple of perfectly reasonable questions, whilst raising an eyebrow to the inflammatory tone of your piece.

1) did you take it back to the retailer 2) what did you do to break the other loco.

I also think it was perfectly reasonable to ask a member of some longevity exactly what surprised them about toy-like features of a train set when they were toy-like: the trak mat and curved platform.

So instead of a more measured approach, I receive a tirade listing various random political leaders (don't even go there with me, and besides you have presumably read the posting rules on here), and a frankly hilarious (unintentionally, I truly believe) complaint about using a train-set design of platform with, would you believe, a train set!

I have helpfully suggested that the service sheets for Hornby locos are available via their web site, and one member at least has voted that post up; if that was you then respect where it is due. But I'll tell you something, respect is a two way process. And trying to remain ambivalent for a second, if you read what's been posted by other members on here, I don't feel that it's my contribution that's come under particular scrutiny. Except, perhaps, for unwittingly encouraging trolling. In which case apologies to Andy and the moderators, whose judgement I generally support approximately 97.3% of the time.*

* see that statistic, it's called irony again. wink.gif

I thought it may be worth an insight here as to some of the things that go on in the back room.

This member had already come to the admin team's attention for confrontational posts, a potentially divisive topic and glib comments. Following a report on the above the member concerned has received a warning and a PM that all of his future posts will be reviewed by a member of the team before being publicly visible.

The word troll isn't too wide of the mark in this case.

Archived