New diesels for DB Regio

Taigatrommel

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/breakingnews/bombardier-signs-nine-year-locomotive-supply-agreement-with-db-regio--120055884.html

An interesting configuration, but in theory highly adaptable to variable loadings. Sad to think it probably spells an end to 218s and 232s on passenger, but on the plus side it suggests a continuance of loco haulage.

Four engines, eh?

I guess that will be along the lines of recent US style power! Presumably in the usual TRAXX bodyshell.

Pity as I was hoping that Voith, Vossloth or even GE would make inroads into this market!

Interesting development nevertheless.

Cheers,

John E.

I presume this will be a development from the ALP45DP dual power locos currently being built for New Jersey Transit and AMT in Montreal - these are electric locos which also have two medium sized Caterpillar diesels to provide motive power when off the wires.

Not sure what sort of diesels they're going to use for DB - but I reckon at least a 750HP lump to provide a decent combined tractive effort - the Cummins QSK19s as fitted to Voyagers fit the bill , but I don't think they're compliant with the newer emissions regulations.

Not sure what sort of diesels they're going to use for DB - but I reckon at least a 750HP lump to provide a decent combined tractive effort - the Cummins QSK19s as fitted to Voyagers fit the bill , but I don't think they're compliant with the newer emissions regulations.

QSK 19 is now up at 3B spec, so while the 22X don't, future builds with these on board, will meet the regs.

I wonder if the description of 4 power plants is wrong as I have read about some locos that when they have light loads only use a proportion of the engine. So if it's say got 2 V8's one might be running on say 6 pots.

Some writers might think of 2 V8's as 4 straight 4 power plants.

The MTU4000 series power unit (as fitted to HSTs here in the UK) has half-bank firing when idling , basically the fuel supply is cut off to one bank of cylinders to reduce consumption and presumably emissions - the system is capable of switching over which bank is shut off after a pre-defined period to reduce cylinder glazing etc.

However, the MTU4000 is a big engine , certainly too big to fit 4 inside a loco , so I would expect something smaller more along the size of a Cummins QSK19 or the sort of thing slung under a 172 DMU.

Archived