Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Churches near railways

St Mary in Arden (not currently used as it has no roof) on Great Bowden Road in Market Harborough is right by the midland mainline, in its day it would have sat just above the Engine Shed area I think, next to the now lifted line that went to Northampton & Rugby

• RMweb Premium

The railway is approx. 6m lower than the church, the right angle in the photo is the churchyard wall that was recently rebuilt by the railway.

Tim

Thanks, that's cleared that up! I don't plan copying the church itself (a bit beyond me I reckon) but a prototypical juxtaposition of railway & church would be preferable. I'll probably have to take a "Google look" at some Hampshire churches for modelling inspiration.

Food for thought anyway!

Found this picture of the signal box, the brick buildings to the right of the box are the old schoolrooms with the church just in view behind.

http://tillyweb.biz/...ycrossjunc2.jpg

This photo although from a distance away shows the size of the church, the spire towers ove the entire area.

http://www.gcrleices...nottingham.html

I'd not seen those photos before - I walk past this area every day, and it's always amazed me how close the railway is to such a large church (probably the largest non-conformist church I've seen). I wonder if the large spire was a deliberate attempt to out do the smaller CofE church at the other end of High Pavement.

The Parish Church of St Thomas aka Norbury Parish Church is located besides two lines at Hazel Grove, the original LNWR Stockport to Buxton line and passing overhead the former Midland Railway New Mills South to Heaton Mersey line, which have been linked by the Hazel Grove Chord line since 1986 allowing faster trans-pennine timings between Manchester and Sheffield on non-stopping services now in the hands of First Transpennine Express and East Midlands trains.

Cheers Paul

Archived