Waterslide Transfers

Hi,

I've been applying some of the Fox Transfers 'Overhead Warning' waterslide transfers but I'm having trouble getting them from the water onto the model without them curling up.

The way I'm doing this is to cut them out, drop them into water and wait a few seconds then slide them off the backing and using a craft knife try to get them out of the water with the knife and apply them to the model but they curl up around the knife blade and I have to put them back into the water to try and straighten them out.

I am obviously doing something wrong, what is the best way to use waterslide transfers?

Any advice would be great.

Michael

Leave them on the backing paper to take them out of the water. In fact you only need to dip them in the water and take them out again - then put them on a bit of kitchen/paper towel while they loosen on the backing paper. Leaving them in the water to float off the paper is where you are going wrong. ;)

To apply to the model, put the backing paper where the decal is to go, and slide the decal off the paper straight onto the model; position correctly and blot gently with more paper towel. :)

Decals will adhere better to a Gloss surface (usually gloss varnish), and when dry, coat with matt varnish, whereupon the carrier film sometimes visible around the edge of the decal will disappear.

I shan't mention setting solutions such as Micro-Sol and Micro-Set, as in my experience they don't really work with Fox decals.

Just to add to F Unit Mad's admirable and accurate treatise, with OHLE markers being small it pays to cut as much of a margin round the decal film as you can, dip in water ( warm is better than cold ) and pick up with fine pointed tweezers, position and gently slide the transfer off the backing into position with a sharp but not needle sharp, point. Once positioned correctly use a cotton bud to soak off the excess water and press the transfer into place.

Remember that the whole process relies on a thin water based glue on the back of the transfer. Using hot water or allowing it to soak and then attempting to get the transfer out of the water with a craft knife will remove most of the glue.

Archived