Playing with a Lima class 37

Hello, I have been reading some fantastic threads on here about people detailing older locomotives and have been inspired to have a go myself. I am not doing this to save money (I'm sure in the long run it will cost more than a new rtr loco) but rather because I enjoy doing it. I brought a Lima class 37 (37013) in Mainline livery from ebay for about £20 and so far I have spent £5 on a shawplan roof fan and grill and headcode marker light panels. So far I have fitted the roof grill and headcode marker light panels but not the fan. I have also drilled out the high intensity headlight with a view to putting working lighting in.

post-8284-0-89184800-1303501087_thumb.jpgpost-8284-0-24481900-1303501119_thumb.jpg

Next up I am going to fit some shawplan "D" lights and window surround but they are still in the post.. After that I will respray the body into Raifreight red stripe and get to work on the chassis. The chassis currently has a working Lima motor in it, but it is not running well and is rather large. I plan to install a new motor bogie that is small enough to allow me to fit a cab interior.

I've no idea how long this will take me and I am afraid I have a habbit of getting distracted by other projects, as you can see from the DP1, Hymek and class 47 in the background. (The DP1 and Hymek have been guinnea pigs for painting and will probably find their way into the bin but the class 47 is nearly finished).

Matt

Due to the fact that the postman is having a long weekend and my bodyshell parts are not likely to arrive for a few days I decided to get to work on the chassis. The main job on the chassis is to improve the fuel tanks. They are supposed to be two seperate fuel tanks but the Lima model had both joined together by a moulded web. (At least that's what I think it's called). I have cut this out using a razor saw, needle filed and 2mm drill bit in a pin vice. I cut out the section between the two tanks first then cut out the section at the back edge of the tank at the number 2 end. I then found the chassis was getting a bit unstable so I am going to add some support before cutting out the end of the tank at the number 1 end. The new tank walls are made from 1mm plasticard and to fit them I have been cutting the pieces slightly too big and filing to size. I plan to add some pipework between the two tanks but I'm not quite sure how yet. One other thing to mention is that due to the confined spaces around the tanks I am going to have to spray what I have fitted already and then spray each piece before fitting it into position otherwise I don't think I will be able to get the paint between the gaps. If anyone has done anything similar before and has any tips they would be most welcome.

post-8284-0-89518600-1303636733_thumb.jpgpost-8284-0-46260700-1303636770_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken with a camera phone as my camera has no batteries!

Matt

It's worth modifying the front windows so instead of being all on the one plane they are more of a '\_/' shape. And if you add the tumblehome it makes a huge difference and isn't that difficult but the chassis requires a good few alterations.

The main issue with the model is that the body isn't tall enough but careful work will help draw attention away from this.

I have now added the windows and "D" lights. I don't know what I think of the "D" lights, the existing moulded ones were quite good, the only problem with them was that it would have been difficult to drill a hole through them to add working lighting due to their shape. Next up is putting some good old halfords grey primer on the body and continuing with the chassis. More photos to follow in a few days.

post-8284-0-21914200-1303908911_thumb.jpg

it would have been difficult to drill a hole through them to add working lighting due to their shape.

You can do it if you're careful; a sharp scriber used as a kit of centre punch followed a 0,5 mm drill in a pin vice before opening up to the desired size.

Slow but it can be done with care.

You can do it if you're careful; a sharp scriber used as a kit of centre punch followed a 0,5 mm drill in a pin vice before opening up to the desired size.

Slow but it can be done with care.

I think that when I do one of these again, I will certainly try and open up the existing "D" lights.

I have been altering the chassis today. I decided to remove the tanks completely in the end as patching them up whilst still in place was just not practical. As I have seperated the two tanks the single lead weight will not fit anymore. I am either going to use a hacksaw to cut the single weight into two pieces or I will get some lead shot to fill the tanks and make a lid to seal it in before reattaching them.

Matt

Archived