Taking a bridge for a Walk

• RMweb Premium

On my way back from the York Show on Saturday I stopped at Ferrybridge to see this bridge being replaced. It was at the northern end of the Swinton and Knottingley line where it crosses the A645 just before it goes under the Pontefract Goole Line.

The new bridge had been constructed in a field to the West of the line over the past few months and when we got there on Saturday afternoon the old bridge was being taken out in pne piece on two large mult wheeled transporters from Mammoet.

post-6824-0-96598600-1303711920_thumb.jpg

post-6824-0-43949300-1303712018_thumb.jpg

Here are the two transporters which were linked together. All driven by one man with a controller and lead.

post-6824-0-63312800-1303712149_thumb.jpg

Nearly out. There was a pause at this point as some extra brickwork was pecked out on the other side where a girder end had caught.

post-6824-0-38630300-1303712305_thumb.jpg

Eventually the whole bridge was clear of the abutments. Then it was due to drive 100 yards down the road to get past a house before hooking a sharp right into a field to where the new bridge was and some cribbing has been built to put the old one on for it to be cut up.

Watching a bridge rolling down the road was cetainly an impressive sight.

Hopefully by now the new bridge will be in place.

Jamie

Any idea where the Mamoet gear comes from? On our way from Scotland on Friday, just after Berwick we were crawling at 20mph, we pulled over in a service station and there was 2 Mamoet wagons in the services, I wonder if they were going here!

• RMweb Premium

Any idea where the Mamoet gear comes from? On our way from Scotland on Friday, just after Berwick we were crawling at 20mph, we pulled over in a service station and there was 2 Mamoet wagons in the services, I wonder if they were going here!

No idea but the timing would just about fit. The road closure started late Friday night and is due to be lifted today.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Wonder if you can tell me how they got the BRIDGE TO THE SITE, AND WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE OLD ONE? was it cut up before moving?

Very interesting program on Eddie never knew the rail engeneering side.

Thanks for any help.

Gordon W.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know the bridge was brought to the site in parts and assembled on site about 100 yards from the site. Supports were alos built for the old one and it was placed on those and cut up in nthe field at the back of the house.

These moving machines ahve made things much easier than they used to be. In 1987 Gelderd Road junction was taken out as part of the Leeds electrifiaction and a new bridge erected ov er Gelderd Road. This was built alongside the embankment and according to the crew involved. The first job was to book the crane that lifted it, then the geometry was worked out so that the new bridge could be swung into place in one lift. This dictated the exact position of the new bridge, so they rented a social club car park and put 4 concrete platforms in to erect the new bridge. Apparently the crane was booked approximately 18 months earlier. The old bridge was closed on the evening of Easter Saturday. The old bridge was then cut up in situ overnight and the new bridge installed on Easter Sunday and Monday ready or traffic on the Tuesday morning at 05.00. As a matter of interest the last working over the old bridge was Kholapur working light engine with a support coach, from Holbeck shed back to Tyseley after working a railtour.

Somewhere I've got a photo of it on the old bridge with the cranes in the background.

Jamie

Archived