Scratchbuilding a row of terraced houses from card

I have put away my layout for the summer, but found inspiration during Easter to start a smaller project, building a row of terraced houses in 00 scale. I have not decided where to put it, maybe I'll make a small diarama to use when I photograph.

Here is the progress so far:

terr01.jpg

I allways start with a sheet of card, appr 1 mm thick, cutting out openings for doors and windows. I get my cards from a picture framer, who is happy to get rid of his waste.

terr02.jpg

I then put glue on to the sheet and put on brick paper, home made on the computer, and printed at a local print shop, charging appr 50 p for an A3 sheet. Using a sharp hobby knife, I cut out openings for doors and windows, and bend them 90 degrees, before I glue them to the card.

terr03.jpg

Yesterday evening saw work on the windows. I build up my sash windows from three layers of thin card, in this instance card from a bed sheet my wife purchased the other day. The bay windows and doors are made from the same thin card, building up layers until I have what I want. The window glass is from a packet of spread.

terr04.jpg

Photo showing my total progress so far, including a small front garden and pavement, made from 1 mm card, using a pencil to draw the slabs. The roof is still loose, until I have finished all my windows.

• RMweb Gold

Rather nice work just out of interest what brick paper have you used?

Have you thought about using the Scalescenes cottages as a starting point in the future as it would save you a bit of work. I know you have to print them, but you could do it as many times as you wanted, just adding card to thicken the walls up.

Regards,

Nick.

To answer your questions:

- The brickpaper is my own make, made from the Brickntiles software. It can be downloaded from here, and includes the sheet I have used on my building, + two other slightly different, including a few window arches as well.

- As much as I like the Scalescenes structures, I have chosen to scratchbuild as I want my own unique structures. For the same reason I don't use Metcalfe or Superquick either, even though I like their appearance.

I've had a look around the rest of the Egursund Sports club site, but can find no mention of the brickntiles software you refer to, only the PDF file of brick paper.

great post, Norseman.

It's really impressive work - you are a man after my own heart, using originality, and not spending hard earned cash on expensive commercial products/materials (Scalescenes excepted).

Can you continue with this post through to completion? Your methods and hints are most helpful.

Regards,

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some work yesterday evening. Cut out all the sash windows and glued them to the building. Also continued with the front gardens. For one of them I used some leftovers from a Ratio GWR spear fencing. This morning has seen work on guttering and downpipes, as well as a bit of slating.

The gutters are made from appr 120 g paper, scribed and bent over a ruler to get the right shape of it. Then painted with acrylic black. Downpipes are from a rod used for flowers. Slates are from the inside of a cereal packet.

Here are a few pics from the progress so far:

terr05.jpg

terr06.jpg

terr07.jpg

terr08.jpg

Very nice modelling.

In which period are the houses modelled.

I don't scratchbuild, but do some kitbashing with the Scalescene kits.

Thanks for good feedback. Most of my rolling stock are from the late BR period around 1990, so I guess the period I try to model reflects that. But as most terraced houses are from the Victorian/Edwardian era, the era is not too obvious before I put on things like vehicles, satelite dishes and so on.

I follow your Bridge Street progress with interest. Seeing your Fish & Chip shop interior has made me start thinking about modelling the inside of my own buildings, so thanks for posting those photos!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Nice example of scratch building. How did the price compare with buying card kit buildings?

What sort of model pavement have you used please?

Would members please advise me which model pavements is most realistic?

I have some Tencommandments plaster pavement but find it is quite thick and prone to snaping.

Any advice welcome please?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi.

Nice example of scratch building. How did the price compare with buying card kit buildings?

What sort of model pavement have you used please?

Would members please advise me which model pavements is most realistic?

I have some Tencommandments plaster pavement but find it is quite thick and prone to snaping.

Any advice welcome please?

Thanks,

Jeff

Price: About one pound for brick paper, about two quids for glue, that's about it I think.

So a lot cheaper than buying kits, I guess. But more time consuming as well, so it all depends of what you want, and how patient you are.

Pavement: Made from scrap card from a picture framer, lined up with ordinary pencil/ruler, then painted/weathered with watercolor.

Archived