Finecast T9 in OO

DIW

• RMweb Premium

I have one to build, hoping that an EM gauge is possible without too many issues

Depending on which chassis you have, you will need more spacer washers than for the OO version of the loco - they are included on the etches of the South Eastern Finecast chassis. The loco bogie will be able to have all the details fitted in EM. The tender bogies can be made with the EM frames. The brakes for the loco and the tender have both OO and EM spreaders included.

There will need to be more whitemetal removed, probably, from the footplate assembly to allow clearance for the wheels within the assembly. You may need to also trim some of the boiler on the inside; depends on how much space it requires for EM.

Hope this helps, in the fullness of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While I was still waiting for a box of Milliput to arrive, I tidied up the paint on the tender's chassis:

DSCN6890.JPG.80aedabca6cda845d6f5161e21398028.JPG

Eventually one of the Milliput boxes arrived. That allowed me to fill in the gaps and dips - at least, those that I could see....

DSCN6891.JPG.21b30750b928b80c53edc2864a8c8d99.JPG

DSCN6892.JPG.0f32fbd5c8e25bfa9ba4065616b2ee41.JPG

When it had dried, I rubbed the model down where required. I began to wonder if car body filler might have been a good alternative, bcause the Milliput was set harder that the whitemetal of the body!

DSCN6893.JPG.914b91a408745ff4d9fb6fe81441f24a.JPG

Finally, to check that all the necessary voids had been filled and rubbing down had been rubbed, I gave the model a light coat of primer, intending that the paint would help to show up any blemishes. Here it is seen that a bit more attention could be given to the inside edges of the footplate, where joining vertical surfaces; and a bit more rubbing to be done at the cab front to roof joint.

DSCN6894.JPG.754b5a4ebb3bc73c19ae971f1bc09f53.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Coming together very nicely! Keep going!

I Know that Milliput works well but I have found that "The Green Stuff" - used by wargamers I'm told, works very well too.

The book of the T9's is, I agree, full of useful info and pictures as are all the series. 

I have noticed, as have many I'm sure, that stalls at exhibitions and "on line" retailers like Hattons have many unmade or unfinished loco kits that can usually be had very cheaply. I have just finished a U class 2-6-0 purchased from Hattons and have a Finecast push-pull M7 to build. The latter cost me £50 at an exhibition and is complete with wheels motor etc.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi, just caught up with this thread as I am looking for guidance with upgrading Dad’s old T9 with a better chassis and chucking the time expired K’s motordrive. The badly squashed (don’t ask) watercart has been replaced by equally ancient BEC 6w tender of dubious ancestry.  

Did the SEF etched chassis work out OK? My layout is also 00 but reasonably benign curves, power from a Mashima and HighLevel Roadrunner when they reopen.

Cheers and StaySafe

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2021 at 17:10, Jack Benson said:

Hi, just caught up with this thread as I am looking for guidance with upgrading Dad’s old T9 with a better chassis and chucking the time expired K’s motordrive. The badly squashed (don’t ask) watercart has been replaced by equally ancient BEC 6w tender of dubious ancestry.  

Did the SEF etched chassis work out OK? My layout is also 00 but reasonably benign curves, power from a Mashima and HighLevel Roadrunner when they reopen.

Cheers and StaySafe

Hi @Jack Benson, I've just found your question when I was putting the pictures back in.

The SEF Chassis is OK. You'll need to decide whether you want to do all the fiddling about with the brake assembly on the tender - I seem to recall that you have quite an eye for detail, so I think you may do so.

Hope this helps, and isn't too late.

Dave

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DIW said:

Hi @Jack Benson, I've just found your question when I was putting the pictures back in.

The SEF Chassis is OK. You'll need to decide whether you want to do all the fiddling about with the brake assembly on the tender - I seem to recall that you have quite an eye for detail, so I think you may do so.

Dave

Dave

The more modern SEF etched chassis plus a few other makes do sometimes look a bit daunting with all the added detail some kits now have. In one way if it concerns the builder perhaps leaving some of the more delicate items off may be the answer. Not attempted a T9 chassis yet so I cannot comment, but the tender has 2 bogies which may make the building easier

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
6 hours ago, DIW said:

Dave

The situation is OBE, this was the conclusion a few weeks ago.

spacer.png

Thank you, 30304 uses a veritable Smörgåsbord of components from Markits, SEF, Westward, HLK and of course, the Hornby tender.

StaySafe