A modelling project?

Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Premium

Mantua/Tyco used to have a unit designed for the same purpose. It was a work caboose with a rubber fitting to replicate the spikes. I believe there was a prototype although the model itself was rather toy-like.

Sorry, but have I missed something here? What is the purpose of this vehicle. The writing underneath seems to suggest it is some sort of load gauge but this doesn't seem to gel. If it is a gauge it is a gauge for checking for clearance of non-moving items on the side of the track. This would explain somewhat why the spikes finish on the right hand side of the picture. That may be the side where tracks are parallel.

Sorry, but have I missed something here? What is the purpose of this vehicle. The writing underneath seems to suggest it is some sort of load gauge but this doesn't seem to gel. If it is a gauge it is a gauge for checking for clearance of non-moving items on the side of the track. This would explain somewhat why the spikes finish on the right hand side of the picture. That may be the side where tracks are parallel.

That's precisely what it is...a loading gauge detector or as we call 'em a clearance car.

• RMweb Premium

mobi323: I think there are spikes all the way around, just that the ones on the far side are folded back for some reason. You can see a couple at the one o'clock position are folded flat.

Once something gets over 12 ft wide and 18 ft tall (above top of rail) people start getting concerned about it. Some auto racks and double stacks are over 20 ft tall.

Archived