Hornby Dublo etc. for the 21st Century

In the search for some relatively easy wagon projects but with unusual subjects, I went back to my modelling roots and bought on Ebay some battered 1960s Hornby Dublo RTR and unbuilt Airfix and Ratio kits.

Below are the results; all have benefited from my own transfers.

post-2274-0-12623100-1304179732_thumb.jpg

This is the body of the Hornby Dublo chlorine tank wagon on a Airfix / Dapol RTR 12' WB chassis. The body / chassis are a perfect fit, and a little bit of refinement of the loading platform followed by a repaint produces a perfectly acceptable model of the ICI 20T chlorine tank wagon. (I've just noticed the absence of axleguard tie-bars - a job for tomorrow)!

post-2274-0-10639300-1304179911_thumb.jpg

Again, the HD chlorine tank wagon body on the Airfix / Dapol 12' WB chassis, but this time both have been shortened to represent the 14T ICI chlorine tank wagon on a 10'6'' chassis.

post-2274-0-13822300-1304180057_thumb.jpg

The same as the 14T chlorine, but painted and lettered as a phosgene tank wagon.

post-2274-0-52772400-1304180129_thumb.jpg

An Airfix kit purchased unbuilt, which has been detailed, painted and lettered as an ICI bulk salt hopper. (The eagle-eyed will detect the effect of spraying cellulose ICI blue-green paint too thickly on a plastic kit)!

post-2274-0-47375300-1304180256_thumb.jpg

Another Airfix PRESFLO, built as Airfix intended, but detailed and painted in Ford Signal Yellow, which to my mind is closer to Blue Circle yellow. The more detailed transfers help too.

post-2274-0-20512800-1304180388_thumb.jpg

The Ratio iron MINK, fitted with ABS brakegear and again painted in the Ford yellow. It will have a partner from the ABS kit, lettered with my Blue Circle van transfers.

Also planned are a BR 1/307 Townson Tankers 20T tank wagon, using the body from a HD Traffic Services ferry tanker on an Airfix / Dapol 12' WB chassis. This chassis is ideal for tank wagons as it features open framework and a representation of the buffer springs.

Then there'll be three versions of the Traffic Services and ICI Heavy Organic Chemical Division ferry tank wagons. These will utilise the HD Traffic Services body on Airfix Esso tank wagon kit chassis. Appleby Model Engineering will provide the ferry buffers and suspension.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Well done, good to see some old models upgraded.

Agreed, there are a few overlooked sow's ears out there. I've always fancied doing the chlorine tanker and Airfix underframe combo myself; not only is it well detailed as John says, but it neatly gets rid of the least acceptable part of the HD model whilst saving the best bit

Hope to see you doing the bogie tanks- both the Hornby-Dublo and Triang ones- of the same era, John. I've one of the HD ones, whilst a colleague has a couple of the Triang ones which he's promised to me. I did have one of the Hornby chlorine tanks, but it got dissolved in an abortive experiment in paint-stripping during my teenage years..

Hope to see you doing the bogie tanks- both the Hornby-Dublo and Triang ones- of the same era..

It will happen - I've a selection of HD and Tri-ang ICI and Murgatroyds.

Expect to see BR 1/304 Townson Tankers next; http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtankwagon/h35578b6a#h35578b6a. The transfers are designed and the HD Traffic Services body is sitting on the Airfix chassis at the end of my shunting plank, waiting to have 4mm. taken out of its length.

There will also be ICI Arctron ferry tank wagon transfers; http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p1029401462/h1f889aa9#h1f889aa9; this will be an HD ICI chlorine tank body on an Airfix ESSO kit chassis.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived