Moors Valley Railway

noiseboy72

Visited the Moors Valley Railway today. How very pleasant !

A mile round trip on this very well run, fully 3 aspect signalled line operating an intensive service.

A minor issue provided a bit more interest. A goods train derailed on a set of points. This stranded 2 or 3 passenger trains further down the line for 10 minutes or so, until the train crews could get it re-railed. It helped that they had all the tools required on the train! A nearby siding was used to stable the train until it could be checked for safety.

The Tinkerbell Festival today provided lots of running and plenty of variety of routes. The line is very well laid out, with lots of vantage points and very little waiting for trains. A nice, well stocked shop and Ice cream kiosk was also appreciated.

We will be coming again.

post-7023-0-50664200-1304183455_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-56143200-1304183472_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-43621300-1304183486_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-59674700-1304183499_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-25879900-1304183515_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-21328100-1304183531_thumb.jpg

Who needs a jack when a lever will suffice? You would be suprised how much can be lifted by a lever like that - not measured it but that looks like a 4 to 1 ratio thus put say a 12st man on one end and he can lift a 48st object.

Who needs a jack when a lever will suffice? You would be suprised how much can be lifted by a lever like that - not measured it but that looks like a 4 to 1 ratio thus put say a 12st man on one end and he can lift a 48st object.

And that was without the extension bar! There was another 4' of bar available.

Actually, I have to say, I was very impressed with the way they dealt with the incident. I was next to the line when I heard the crunch as the loco de-railed. The driver sent his gaurd to phone the signalman (Phones every 25M or so) and then chocked up the loco so it could not tip or move any further. This was a goods train, so no passengers.

The driver of the train behind stopped at the signal prior to the block and walked forward to help. He left his train of passengers with his gaurd who stayed with it and ensured the passengers remained with that train.

Other staff walked up the trackside and from another (Empty) train and brought more blocks to speed the job along.

Once the train was re-railed and coupled back to its train, it was run slowly to a siding and given the once over. The point was then tested and inspected for damage.

A member of staff remained for the next few minutes to ensure all trains were passing the point without problems and by then, normal service was resumed.

Other railways could learn a lot from this bunch...

• 1 month later...

Actually, I have to say, I was very impressed with the way they dealt with the incident. I was next to the line when I heard the crunch as the loco de-railed. The driver sent his gaurd to phone the signalman (Phones every 25M or so) and then chocked up the loco so it could not tip or move any further. This was a goods train, so no passengers.

The driver of the train behind stopped at the signal prior to the block and walked forward to help. He left his train of passengers with his gaurd who stayed with it and ensured the passengers remained with that train.

Other staff walked up the trackside and from another (Empty) train and brought more blocks to speed the job along.

Once the train was re-railed and coupled back to its train, it was run slowly to a siding and given the once over. The point was then tested and inspected for damage.

A member of staff remained for the next few minutes to ensure all trains were passing the point without problems and by then, normal service was resumed.

Other railways could learn a lot from this bunch...

I am glad you were impressed.

This tends to be an event that can cause some unexpected de-railments due to the fact of visiting engines (as in the picture). The home locos have wide flanges to cope with the high useage the track gets every year and if it was one of the bigger engines then the extension would of been used (plus the reinforced lever as it has been known to bend it).

May I suggest if you want even more train movements the Gala (11th and 12th June this year) event is worth while, every steam locomotive that is servicable is out this weekend with lots of minitaure traciion engines , full size tracion engnes and more around. The locos tend to spend half the day on frieght and half on Passenger service, we tend to have 3 signalmen on duty for this event (2 in east box and 1 in west) to cope with this. The records show that noramly between 10:45am and 5pm their is a total of 100 round trips made by the various sets. (Best place to see the action is in the area accross from East signalbox that can be reached by the first footbridge down the line.

Hi Stu, nice to see your on this forum, you forgot to mention that no one argues with the guy on the lever, and I expect to hear about it from the 'Reverend' on Monday evening if he's not working.

• RMweb Gold

, you forgot to mention that no one argues with the guy on the lever, .

advantage of being the boss ;) I wouldn't say no one argues with him just that they don't tend to win. The main box is a very good way of telling if someone can handle a signalmans job and there's at least 9 guys who either installed it, as they were already, or went on to become NR signalmen on Wessex or the Western.

• 1 year later...

I visited this railway with the family as part of a day out at the Moors Valley country park last week, when on holiday in the area. No pictures I'm afraid, but I must say I was most impressed by the general level of equipment, signalling etc. There were at least three trains on the go at the same time, all steam powered, and the layout ( I guess you might call it a dogbone) means that although the trains all run in one direction you do get trains passing each other.

The whole family enjoyed the park generally including the railway.

• 3 weeks later...

The Moors Valley is an extraordinary 71/4" railway- well worth a visit by anyone. Some years ago, we made a series of videos, of which this was one, ifit's of any interest. At least it shows the railway! (with part 2 as well....)

• RMweb Gold

Nice video Giles and nicely presented too. Haven't driven there for several years now but the Garratt was my least favourite due to the lag and soft exhaust. The small engines like Tinkerbell and Talos are a lot of fun to drive on the short trains or shuttle as you really have to keep on top of them but arevery tiring on the full circuit.

Personal favourite was Pioneer as it was comfortable for me at 6ft 4in Tall and wasn't too powerful so was interesting to drive all day.

Archived