Siding Lane Junction

colin@gorleston

And so begins a new layout.

The last effort was consigned to the dumpster about 6 months ago, it wasn't that I was unhappy with the modelling on it, rather the fact that it was end to end ( not really my cup of tea) I like to watch trains running thru country side and Gorleston was all town.

I started on the track planning forum looking for both inspiration and help, much of which was forthcoming from all the great members here on RM.This double track and goods yard was the finished result.

Track was laid, wired and tested for operation...............no good!

Because of the space restraints everything looked too cramped.

Tear it up and start again.

I was really struggling to find a plan and then a new book arrived on my doorstep " Branch Lines around Lowestoft"

Tucked neatly between Beccles and Oulton Broad South was Barnby.

Originally just a single line, signal box, hard standing for road vehicles and a loading dock....PERFECT!!!!!

Although fairly rare in eastern East Anglia these wayside sidings were fairly common in the fenlands to the west.

Still firmly in Great Eastern territory, just what I like.

And so I proudly present to you Siding Lane Junction. Please feel free to comment.

Regards

Colin

post-6258-0-01110300-1304265140_thumb.jpg

post-6258-0-89790000-1304265854_thumb.jpg

Top or bottom the proposed track plan?

Pass through Barnby on the way to running my daughter to Oulton Broad for karate. Never really think of the railway running through there (it's a bit boring these days) but it is a lovely little village and definately has country atmosphere you're after. Are you still going with the same era that Gorleston was?

Bottom plan is the new layout.

I think I'm going to have to distort history a little bit as Barnby was closed fairly early, but it will still be late steam/early diesel......it's that or sell all my diesel stock on *bay.( although I did see a dcc'd 04 shunter get a really good price recently and I just happen to have done one of those ;) )

regards

Colin

What's the traffic roster looking like? Branchline goods and Britannia hauled Liverpool St. expresses?

C6T.

For the steam traction I'll be running B1's, B 17"s the new Farish J 39 when it hits the shelves Fowler 4F and 4MT tanks(Fairburns) until someone comes up with an L1.

Diesel consists of the following classes: 04, 24, 25, 31, 33, 37 and 47's

DMU's....108 for specials from Birmingham and like everybody else still waiting for a 101 or 105.

Regards

Colin

Track laying and wiring commenced this morning, a couple of minor alterations to the plan but nothing too drastic.

I inserted another point coming off one of the sidings leading to a grain loading silo.

Hopefully later today I'll get a couple of pictures posted.....

Regards

Colin

Hopefully, but without working points.......these Fulgerex motors take a little setting up.

I guess that teaches me for being cheap and buying a huge bag of used motors at a show instead of paying about 10 times as much for new tortoise's

Regards

Colin

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

One of the reasons I decided on such a simple subject was just so that long easy curves could be used........I just love watching trains trundle past, but I also needed some shunting to keep me occupied.

Regards

Colin

Looks nicer than Peco, has a look of 2mm easitrac on the plain rail.

I have to admit, I'm rather pleased with the look aswell.

Very recently they started producing curved points too. Still hard to source tho.

The beauty of the Atlas points is how easy they are to wire for dcc with electro frogs.

Regards

Colin

Archived