Howes sound chips

edam_cheese

Howes sound chips list F10 as "Acceleration and decceleration override". What does this actually do and how do you use it? I have four locos with Howes sound (20,26,47 and 150) and don't notice this function having any effect. Aside from this minor query I have found the sound effects on all of these chips to be superb.

I have a few Howes chips as well, and to be honest apart from the horn I don't really use any other sound affects. Will have to have a

look to see what F10 is showing on the Cl33/37/50/56 I have....

Slighty off topic but where did you manage to fit the chip/speaker in the cl20, tempted with one but

don't want the cab filled with anything since it will be on shed.

cheers

Keith

Howes sound chips list F10 as "Acceleration and decceleration override". What does this actually do and how do you use it? I have four locos with Howes sound (20,26,47 and 150) and don't notice this function having any effect. Aside from this minor query I have found the sound effects on all of these chips to be superb.

Hi

Basically it switches ON/OFF the Inertia + Brake modes set in CV's 3 & 4. With F10 ON the loco will stop and start the instant the throttle is closed/opened. It can be handy for fine shunting movements, and can also be combined with the "Shunt" function on one function key. Would agree about Howes chips - having both the 20 & 27 :P

HTH

Ken

Slighty off topic but where did you manage to fit the chip/speaker in the cl20, tempted with one but

The RTR Bachmann sound-fitted model uses a narrow speaker above the front bogie (below top grill), and chip above the rear bogie. Cab completely clear. The chip is the 21-pin version onto a small circuit board which links to pickups, speakers, motor. No lights on the RTR model, but doesn't look massively difficult to add.

I have a few Howes chips as well, and to be honest apart from the horn I don't really use any other sound affects. Will have to have a

cheers

Keith

Hi Keith

If fitting sound to a Bach Class 20, easiest to start with the later 21 pin chassis version, on these the chassis block has been revised to allow fitting of a 20x40 speaker under the fan grille - as per the standard Bachmann sound issue. An alterative 20x40 bass enhanced speaker would be preferable, but so far it's defied all my attempts to fit it AND get the body to fit back on properly :angry: It helps the sound a bit if you seal the std speaker around it's mounting etc. I've recently completed a pair of 20's with sound and 6 function independant lighting. Most I think would agree, the Howes Class 20 chip is the best option at the moment.

HTH

Ken

cheers

Keith

To be honest I cheated, bought a Bachmann sound equipped class 20 (for a decent price) knowing that I didn't like the factory sound and sent it sent it straight to Howes for a reblow. I did manage to replace the standard speaker with a bass enhanced speaker and this just needed a bit of shaving of the plastic speaker surround to fit in the narrow hood.

Thanks Nigel and Ken,

Regarding the Fuctions etc, it took me a while to work out where the cab light fuction had moved to! Now

sorted in that regard. I think the 37/4 I has seagulls on one button as a different idea

not yet worked out now to play it mind as my NCE Powercab fuction does not go that high!

cheers

Keith

Thanks Nigel and Ken,

Regarding the Fuctions etc, it took me a while to work out where the cab light fuction had moved to! Now

sorted in that regard. I think the 37/4 I has seagulls on one button as a different idea

not yet worked out now to play it mind as my NCE Powercab fuction does not go that high!

cheers

Keith

Keith, you need to reprogram the"option" key from its default value of 94 to a new value of 122 (check the manual on how to do this). This then allows you to press the "option" key once followed by a function key to access functions 10 to 19, or press the "option" key twice followed by a function key to work functions 20 to 28. The seagulls are on function 13, so that would involve pressing "option" then "3" to start it, and pressing the same combination again to stop it.

Keith, you need to reprogram the"option" key from its default value of 94 to a new value of 122 (check the manual on how to do this). This then allows you to press the "option" key once followed by a function key to access functions 10 to 19, or press the "option" key twice followed by a function key to work functions 20 to 28. The seagulls are on function 13, so that would involve pressing "option" then "3" to start it, and pressing the same combination again to stop it.

That is helpful actually, I had never been able to access the seagulls on my class 26 using NCE Powercab. Surely just a gimmick but could be good for a laugh. I do like the guards whistle fitted to the Bachmann class 25 sound. This can be parked in a quiet spot in the station with the sound switched off and the whistle function will still work to send off all your trains!

That is helpful actually, I had never been able to access the seagulls on my class 26 using NCE Powercab. Surely just a gimmick but could be good for a laugh. I do like the guards whistle fitted to the Bachmann class 25 sound. This can be parked in a quiet spot in the station with the sound switched off and the whistle function will still work to send off all your trains!

Right before I go up the loft (and make a fool out of myself) to try and find a Seagul in my Unrefurbished 37 from Howes, with my Power Cab this is not a @@@@ take right? :lol: :lol:

p.s. Iv checked the date also!!!!! :lol:

Stu

Archived